Internet Speed Impacted by McAfee: Compatibility Issues?

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with internet speed after registering McAfee on a laptop with Windows Vista. The solution was to uninstall McAfee, but the conversation also raises questions about compatibility and the ability to restrict programs' internet access using Windows Firewall.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just a warning, my laptop came with mcafee and windows vista installed,
once i had registered mcafee my internet speed dropped to a crawl (even with mcafee protection turned off), the only way i could get my internet speed back was to uninstall mcafee, do people not test compatibility issues?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Shouldn't there be a way to restrict a program access to the internet by means of Windows Firewall?
Just set block it until when there is an update.

Last edited:
ziad1985 said:
Shouldn't there be a way to restrict a program access to the internet by means of Windows Firewall?
Just set block it until when there is an update.

That maybe true, but if these programs come installed by the seller they
should be compatible surly, or was it my fault for registering mcfee?

I don't think that you did anything wrong in registering mcafee.
I can't say anything regarding the compatibility issue, but I guess speed change could be something not taken into consideration by the seller..
Check with the seller about this, if he can't help you, then check with mcafee itself.

Related to Internet Speed Impacted by McAfee: Compatibility Issues?

1. How does McAfee impact internet speed?

McAfee may impact internet speed if there are compatibility issues with your device or network. This can happen if McAfee is using a large amount of your device's resources or if it is conflicting with other programs or settings on your device.

2. What are some signs that McAfee is impacting my internet speed?

If you are experiencing slow internet speeds or frequent connection drops while McAfee is running, it may be a sign that McAfee is impacting your internet speed. You may also notice high CPU usage or long loading times for websites.

3. Can I improve my internet speed while using McAfee?

Yes, you may be able to improve your internet speed while using McAfee by adjusting some settings or optimizing your device's resources. You can also try updating to the latest version of McAfee or contacting their customer support for assistance.

4. Is there a way to prevent McAfee from impacting my internet speed?

While it is not possible to completely prevent McAfee from impacting your internet speed, there are steps you can take to minimize its impact. This includes regularly updating McAfee, optimizing your device's resources, and avoiding running other programs or heavy tasks while using the internet.

5. Are there alternative antivirus programs that may have less impact on internet speed?

Yes, there are alternative antivirus programs that may have less impact on internet speed. It is always recommended to do your research and choose an antivirus program that meets your security needs while also having minimal impact on your device's performance.