Internel potentiel of PN junction? so complicated

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homojunction PN with an external potential difference of 0 volts applied. The equation e*Vbi + Eg + ( Ec - Ef ) + ( Ef - Ev) = 0 is discussed, with Vbi representing the internal potential, Eg representing the energy gap, Ef representing the Fermi energy level, Ec representing the energy of conduction level, and Ev representing the energy of valence level. It is noted that the equation appears to be incorrect, and further clarification is needed. The conversation ends with a resolution that the energy gap for a homojunction is the difference between Ec and Ev, with Ef-EVp being the correct notation.
physicist888
internel potentiel of PN junction?? so complicated

homojunction PN (not polarized), externel potentiel difference applied = 0 Volt .

i should demonstrate the equation: e*Vbi + Eg + ( Ec - Ef ) + ( Ef - Ev) = 0
Given: Vbi= internel potential
Eg= energy gap
Ef = Fermi energy level
Ec= Energy of conduction level
Ev= Energy of valence level

then i should deduce, that if the junction are so dopped that : Vbi = Eg/e

Ive try a lot to solve the first equation, but i couldn't find the solution. what I've found it that Vbi must equal Zero, and that's impossible cause .
hope someone know how to solve that.

Physics news on Phys.org
homojunction PN- Need help

Hi all, i need help in my little exercise
a homojunction PN (not polarized), externel potentiel difference applied = 0 Volt .

Eg= energy gap
Ef = Fermi energy level

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Ive try a lot to solve the first equation, but i couldn't find the solution. what I've found it that Vbi must equal Zero, and that's impossible cause .
hope someone know how to solve that.

physicist888 said:
Hi all, i need help in my little exercise
a homojunction PN (not polarized), externel potentiel difference applied = 0 Volt .

Eg= energy gap
Ef = Fermi energy level
That equation looks wrong!

Simply by inspection (draw the energy digram for the p-n junction), you should be able to see that:

[tex]eV_{b} + (E_c - E_F) + (E_F - E_v) = E_g[/tex]

its right, the equation is as you've write it:
e*Vbi - Eg + ( Ec - Ef ) + ( Ef - Ev) = 0 there's a minus infront of Eg .
but what i don't understand it, that if i draw the energy level diagram of the PN junction, i found that Eg = Ec - Ev and its the definition of Eg.
if i write the statement like this: e*Vbi - Eg + Ec - Ef + Ef - Ev = 0 , then it will reduce to
e*Vbi - Eg + Ec - Ev = 0, and as known Eg = Ec - Ev, so it should that Vb = 0.
i really don't understand how to see by drawing the energy diagram for the PN junction that the realtion is right.

In the above equation Ec - Ef is measured in the n-type region and Ef - Ev is measured in the p-type region. This should be more explicitly stated in the equation.

physicist888 said:
and as known Eg = Ec - Ev
No. I think your statement of the problem is incorrect or missing some information. You probably mean Ec on one side of the junction and Ev on the other side, in which case Eg = Ec - Ev is not correct. Take a look at the energy diagram for the p-n in your text, or here

http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter4/ch4_2.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
actualy what i don't understand that's the energy gap for a semiconductor is the difference betwen Ec and Ev. but , what will be the energy gap for a homojunction? and inside the barrier and outside. at left and right its the same?
marcusl, I've chequed your link, the don't indicate that.

10X to all. finally I've understand it. I've just drawn the energy junction diagram, and I've solved that. i think the problem that there's something missing in the equation, Ef-EVp , that's how it should be writen.

Related to Internel potentiel of PN junction? so complicated

1. What is the concept of internal potential in a PN junction?

The internal potential of a PN junction is a built-in electric field that exists at the interface between a P-type semiconductor and an N-type semiconductor. This electric field is created due to the diffusion of electrons and holes from one side to the other, resulting in the formation of a depletion region.

2. How is the internal potential of a PN junction determined?

The internal potential of a PN junction is determined by the difference in the Fermi levels of the P-type and N-type semiconductors. It is also affected by the doping levels of the two materials and the temperature. The higher the doping levels, the lower the internal potential.

3. What is the significance of the internal potential in a PN junction?

The internal potential plays a crucial role in the functioning of a PN junction. It controls the flow of current through the junction and is responsible for various phenomena such as rectification, photovoltaic effect, and photodiode operation. It also affects the capacitance and switching characteristics of the junction.

4. How does the internal potential change with the application of an external voltage?

When an external voltage is applied to a PN junction, it can either enhance or reduce the existing internal potential. In forward bias, the external voltage reduces the internal potential, making it easier for electrons and holes to cross the junction and allowing current to flow. In reverse bias, the external voltage increases the internal potential, creating a barrier that prevents the flow of current.

5. What factors can affect the internal potential of a PN junction?

The internal potential of a PN junction can be affected by several factors such as temperature, doping levels, and the presence of impurities or defects in the semiconductor materials. External factors such as voltage, light, and magnetic fields can also influence the internal potential and alter the behavior of the junction.