Internat. Math Olympiad exercise. Weird function.

In summary, the conversation is about a friend who tried to classify for the IMO but struggled with a problem involving the function f(x + xy + f(y)) = (f(x) + 1/2)(f(x) + 1/2). The speaker did not fully understand the problem and asked for clarification on the domain and codomain, which they were told were both R. However, there seems to be a contradiction in the problem and the speaker's attempt at a solution using the quadratic formula. The conversation ends with the speaker admitting they may have misunderstood the problem and asking for help in solving it.
GBarboza

Homework Statement

A friend of mine tried to classify for the IMO a few days ago (he didn't do so well). A problem he had to solve was:

f(x + xy + f(y)) = (f(x) + 1/2)(f(x) + 1/2)

I didn't really understand what he said later. First he told me to find the values of X and Y for which this function makes sense, but later I asked him if it said anything more and he told me the domain and codomain were both R, which is a bit weird. As far as I know, the domain is all possible values of X.

Homework Equations

I probably misunderstood. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what it probably was, and, even better, tell me how to proceed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as far as f(x) = -1/2 +- f(x + xy + f(y)) using the quadratic formula... which checks out. My dad says I'm missing information. I don't really understand all this much.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem, you are given an identity satisfied by f, and your goal is to solve for f.

I do believe you have misstated the problem, and suspect you have left out information. (e.g. it is not uncommon to include that f is continuous)

I think you have misstated, because there is a contradiction: if you substitute
x = -f(1)
y = 1​
then you get
f(-f(1)) = (f(-f(1)) + 1/2)(f(-f(1)) + 1/2)​
However, this contradicts your statement that f is a function from R to R, because the equation t = (t + 1/2)(t + 1/2) has no real solutions.

Also, the problem you stated contradicts what you said you got via the quadratic formula.

Thanks for replying.

Right, I'm pretty sure that the function being from R to R is the part that I got wrong. He told me that later in the day(or, at least, that's what I managed to make of the three or so words he said); earlier he had told me to find the possible values of x, which is what I can't do. :/

Oh, and, oops, I meant f(x) = -1/2 +- sq( f( x + xy + f(y) ) ).

Related to Internat. Math Olympiad exercise. Weird function.

1. What is the purpose of an International Math Olympiad exercise?

The purpose of an International Math Olympiad exercise is to challenge and assess the mathematical problem-solving skills of students from various countries around the world. It is a prestigious competition that aims to promote interest and excellence in mathematics.

2. What is a "weird function" in the context of an International Math Olympiad exercise?

A "weird function" is a term used to describe a mathematical function that may have unusual or unexpected properties, making it difficult to solve or analyze. In an International Math Olympiad exercise, this may refer to a function that requires creative and unconventional thinking to solve.

3. How are participants in the International Math Olympiad selected?

Participants in the International Math Olympiad are selected through a series of rigorous national and regional mathematical competitions. Each country has their own selection process, but typically, the top students from these competitions are chosen to represent their country at the International Math Olympiad.

4. What is the format of an International Math Olympiad exercise?

The format of an International Math Olympiad exercise varies, but it usually consists of several challenging problems that must be solved within a specific time frame. These problems can cover a wide range of mathematical topics, including algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics.

5. Can students use calculators during an International Math Olympiad exercise?

No, calculators are not allowed during an International Math Olympiad exercise. This is to test students' ability to solve problems using only their mathematical knowledge and skills, without the aid of technology.