Internal Combustion Engine question

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of mono-crystal Alumina in place of aluminum for engine components. While it may have a higher density and be stronger, the high cost of manufacturing and lack of information on mono crystal ceramics currently limit its use. The conversation also mentions the use of single crystal turbine blades by Pratt-Whitney in the past.
MattMaxwell
Just out of curiosity, as I am very amateur here, in ICE could mono-crystal Alumina replace aluminum and create a better engine? Aside from the high cost to manufacture.

I know MC-Alumina has a higher density than Al but is considerably stronger. This would be fantastic, I would think for a methanol/ethanol based engine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will find a lot of interesting information about this subject if you search on :

Ceramic + (any of) Engines / Cylinder blocks / Cylinder heads / Pistons / Cylinder liners / Valves

Last edited:
Correct, however I do not see any information based on mono crystal. The ceramics used are usually at most 99.8% Alumina. I am sure this is due to a few reasons. My sole focus is on purity (9n plus).

i think Pratt-Whitney experimented with single crystal aircraft engine turbine blades in 1970's.

Add that name to your literature search ?

Related to Internal Combustion Engine question

1. What is an internal combustion engine?

An internal combustion engine is a type of heat engine that uses the combustion of fuel to create mechanical energy. It is commonly found in automobiles, motorcycles, and other vehicles.

2. How does an internal combustion engine work?

An internal combustion engine works by using a mixture of fuel and air that is ignited by a spark plug or compression. This creates a controlled explosion that pushes a piston, which then turns a crankshaft to produce mechanical energy.

3. What are the different types of internal combustion engines?

There are three main types of internal combustion engines: spark-ignition, compression-ignition, and stratified charge engines. Spark-ignition engines use a spark plug to ignite the fuel-air mixture, while compression-ignition engines use high pressure and heat to ignite the fuel. Stratified charge engines use a combination of these two methods.

4. What are the advantages of using an internal combustion engine?

Internal combustion engines have several advantages, including high power-to-weight ratio, high efficiency, and the ability to use a variety of fuels. They also have a relatively simple design and are cost-effective to produce.

5. What are the environmental impacts of internal combustion engines?

While internal combustion engines have many benefits, they also have negative environmental impacts. They produce emissions such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter, which contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, advancements in technology have led to more efficient and cleaner-burning engines.