Intermolecular-forces and droplet coalescence

• Thread starter Ahmed Abdullah
  • Start date
In summary, when two droplets meet they coalesce into a bigger droplet, and if two solid material come into contact they will merge to some extent based on the resonances set up upon impact.
Ahmed Abdullah
When two liquid droplets meet they coalesce to form a bigger droplet- this can happens partly because of the intermolecular force and partly because liquid has no definite geometric structure (so that they can flow and respond to the external disturbance).
Now, when two solid material - say two iron rod come into contact they don't coalesce to form a single rod. Why?
Is this because the iron rod has a definite structure and the intermolecular force is not large enough to break this structure and mould into a new one?
When these two rods collide with sufficient kinetic energy, can't we expect them to weld together!
Please explain in detail.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I can't explain in detail. In fact, I can't 'explain' at all. I'll just mention a couple of things that might be relevant.
To start with, two droplets will only merge if they're compatible. A drop of motor oil will not merge with a drop of methonol. I'm pretty sure that surface tension plays a large role in the merging, but I don't know for sure how it works.
If rammed together hard enough, two iron rods will merge to some extent. The heat of compression will liquify or even vaporize them, and they'll be bonded upon solidification.

I suppose if you have two very flat, polished (i.e. clean) surfaces and the crystalline structures of each surface were aligned just right the metal surfaces could fuse together. You definitely wouldn't see it in normal scenario because a) the surfaces aren't clean enough, b) the surfaces aren't flat enough and c) energetic collisions will likely invoke a) or b).

I've ignored the possibility of the metals melting and welding together because I think that we all agree that that mechanism can and does lead to metals sticking to one another.

Claude.

Liquids and solids rely on resonances set up upon impact (like the genesis of the Moon and the Earth, or the shock of a meteorite) to determine the integrity of the final state. Head-on collisions are more likely to convert kinetic energy into heat (which might aid in welding) and have more symmetric resonances as with singular, coalesced drops of liquid. Mixing upon impact is much like that in more controlled conditions: substances having an affinity for each other tend to form whole products of collisions, as Danger suggests, due to mutual surface tension (i. e., relative meniscus).

Related to Intermolecular-forces and droplet coalescence

1. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive or repulsive forces between molecules. These forces are responsible for holding molecules together in a liquid or solid state and play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of a substance, such as boiling point and viscosity.

2. How do intermolecular forces affect droplet coalescence?

Intermolecular forces play a significant role in droplet coalescence, which is the process of two or more droplets combining to form a larger droplet. The strength of the intermolecular forces between the droplets determines the ease of coalescence. Stronger intermolecular forces result in easier coalescence, while weaker forces can prevent coalescence altogether.

3. What are the different types of intermolecular forces?

The four main types of intermolecular forces are London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, hydrogen bonds, and ion-dipole interactions. London dispersion forces are the weakest and are caused by temporary fluctuations in electron density. Dipole-dipole interactions occur between polar molecules, while hydrogen bonds occur between a hydrogen atom and an electronegative atom. Ion-dipole interactions happen between an ion and a polar molecule.

4. How do intermolecular forces affect surface tension and droplet shape?

Surface tension is the result of intermolecular forces at the surface of a liquid. Stronger intermolecular forces lead to higher surface tension, which causes spherical droplets to form. Weaker intermolecular forces can result in lower surface tension and flatter droplets. Additionally, the shape of a droplet can also be affected by the balance of intermolecular forces between the droplet and its surroundings.

5. What is the importance of understanding intermolecular forces and droplet coalescence?

Understanding intermolecular forces and droplet coalescence is essential in various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It helps scientists and engineers design and create new materials with specific properties, such as adhesives, coatings, and pharmaceuticals. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena, such as cloud formation and the behavior of liquids in space.