Intermediate Value Thm for Five-Point Formula

In summary, the author of the link gets past the details of the Intermediate Value Theorem by using a number that exists between $\xi_1$ and $\xi_4$.
kalish1
I have a specific, for-learning-sake-only question on how the author of this link:

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~yanovsky/Teaching/Math151A/hw5/Hw5_solutions.pdf

gets past the details of the Intermediate Value Theorem on the following paragraph. If someone could fill in the details for me, it would be greatly appreciated because I'm having a hard time understanding.

$$\begin{align}
\left(\frac{3}{12h}f^{(5)}(\xi_1)+\frac{18}{12h}f^{(5)}(\xi_2)-32\frac{6}{12h}f^{(5)}(\xi_3)+243\frac{1}{12h}f^{(5)}(\xi_4)\right)\frac{h^5}{120}&= \\
\left(\frac{3}{12}f^{(5)}(\xi_1)+\frac{18}{12}f^{(5)}(\xi_2)-32\frac{6}{12}f^{(5)}(\xi_3)+243\frac{1}{12}f^{(5)}(\xi_4)\right)\frac{h^4}{120}&= \\
6f^{(5)}(\xi)\frac{h^4}{120}&= \\
\frac{h^4}{20}f^{(5)}(\xi)
\end{align}$$

"Note that the IVT was used above..."

Shouldn't it be

"Suppose $f^{(5)}$ is continuous on $[x_0-h,x_0+3h]$ with
$x_0-h < \xi_1<x_0<\xi_2<x_0+h<\xi_3<x_0+2h<\xi_4<x_0+3h.$ Since $\frac{1}{4}[f^{(5)}(\xi_1)+f^{(5)}(\xi_2)+f^{(5)}(\xi_3)+f^{(5)}(\xi_4)]$ is between $f^{(5)}(\xi_1)$ and $f^{(5)}(\xi_4)$, the Intermediate Value Theorem implies that a number $\xi$ exists between $\xi_1$ and $\xi_4$, and hence in $(x_0-h,x_0+3h)$, with $f^{(5)}(\xi)=\frac{1}{4}[f^{(5)}(\xi_1)+f^{(5)}(\xi_2)+f^{(5)}(\xi_3)+f^{(5)}(\xi_4)]$"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi kalish,

Here's a friendly reminder about this part of Rule #2 here on MHB.

Snippet from MHB Rule #2 said:
As a courtesy, if you post your problem on multiple websites, and you get a satisfactory response on a different website, indicate in your MHB thread that you got an answer elsewhere so that our helpers do not duplicate others' efforts.

As a courtesy (not just to us, but also to those on other sites as well), you should inform our (and their) members when you've posted a question on multiple sites (for instance, I see that you've asked this same question on math.stackexchange) and then inform us if you find a solution elsewhere. This way, no one's efforts are duplicated and/or put to waste on solving a problem that has been potentially solved. (Smile)

Chris L T521 said:
Hi kalish,

Here's a friendly reminder about this part of Rule #2 here on MHB.
As a courtesy (not just to us, but also to those on other sites as well), you should inform our (and their) members when you've posted a question on multiple sites (for instance, I see that you've asked this same question on math.stackexchange) and then inform us if you find a solution elsewhere. This way, no one's efforts are duplicated and/or put to waste on solving a problem that has been potentially solved. (Smile)

Thanks Chris. I decided that this problem was unnecessary because the goal I am trying to achieve doesn't actually make sense. So I would like to close this post.

Related to Intermediate Value Thm for Five-Point Formula

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula?

The Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and takes on two values, c and d, at the endpoints a and b, then it must also take on every value between c and d at some point within the interval [a,b]. In other words, there exists at least one point within the interval where the function has a specific value.

How is the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula used in mathematics?

The Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula is often used in calculus to prove the existence of roots or solutions to equations. It is also commonly used in the study of functions to determine if a function has a certain value or to prove the existence of a certain point within an interval.

Can the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula be applied to all functions?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula only applies to continuous functions. A function is considered continuous if its graph has no breaks or gaps. This means that the function's value changes smoothly and continuously over the entire interval.

What are some real-life applications of the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula?

The Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula has applications in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the existence of a root in a financial model or to prove the existence of a solution to a physical equation.

Can the Intermediate Value Theorem for Five-Point Formula be extended to more than five points?

Yes, the Intermediate Value Theorem can be extended to n-points, where n is any positive integer. This means that if a function is continuous on an interval [a,b] and takes on values at n points within the interval, then it must also take on every value between those n points at some point within the interval.