Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an intermediate math problem of the week and encourages community participation in finding different methods to the solution. A question is raised about the value of a scalar in the solution, and the user Tobor changes their name to clarify their identity. The conversation also includes a discussion about proving the solution for functions with mean value 0.
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's intermediate math problem of the week. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods. Spoiler tags are optional.

For any continuous real-valued function ##f## defined on the interval ##[0,1]##, let
\begin{gather*}
\mu(f) = \int_0^1 f(x)\,dx, \,
\mathrm{Var}(f) = \int_0^1 (f(x) - \mu(f))^2\,dx, \\
M(f) = \max_{0 \leq x \leq 1} \left| f(x) \right|
\end{gather*}
Show that if ##f## and ##g## are continuous real-valued functions defined on the interval ##[0,1]##, then
$$
\mathrm{Var}(fg) \leq 2 \mathrm{Var}(f) M(g)^2 + 2 \mathrm{Var}(g) M(f)^2
$$

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes Delta2 and QuantumQuest
Physics news on Phys.org
I am close on this, with one major loose end. Two questions:

1.) Is it in fact supposed to be a scalar of ##2##, not ##\frac{1}{2}## on the Right Hand Side?

2.) Why did @PotW Tobor change its name?

StoneTemplePython said:
I am close on this, with one major loose end. Two questions:

1.) Is it in fact supposed to be a scalar of ##2##, not ##\frac{1}{2}## on the Right Hand Side?

I am unable to comment whether the factor of 2 should be 1/2 but can I ask you something:

Did you prove it first for functions f,g such that ##\mu(f)=\mu(g)=0##?

EDIT: Turns out if f,g are such I can prove it with the factor of 1/2 as you say !

Last edited:
Delta² said:
I am unable to comment whether the factor of 2 should be 1/2 but can I ask you something:

Did you prove it first for functions f,g such that ##\mu(f)=\mu(g)=0##?

EDIT: Turns out if f,g are such I can prove it with the factor of 1/2 as you say !

Exactly. It's straightforward if the random variables are centered (zero mean). It's surprisingly tricky to bootstrap the zero mean case to the general case though.

Likes Delta2
Ok well, here is my try for the special case ##\mu(f)=\mu(g)=0##
First we notice that ##Var(f)=\mu(f^2)-\mu^2(f)## for any f, so in the special case we consider it will be

##Var(f)=\mu(f^2), Var(g)=\mu(g^2)## and

##Var(fg)=\mu(f^2g^2)-\mu^2(fg)\leq \mu(f^2g^2)## (1)

From (1) we can prove the desired inequality by noticing that for example ##\mu(f^2g^2)\leq \mu(f^2)M(g)^2=Var(f)M(g)^2## so we ll have

##Var(fg)\leq Var(f)M(g)^2## and also ##Var(fg)\leq Var(g)M(f)^2## and by adding these last two we get
##Var(fg)\leq \frac{1}{2} (Var(f)M(g)^2+Var(g)M(f)^2)##.

So we proved a stronger inequality but that's for the special case where the two functions have mean value 0.

Last edited:
StoneTemplePython said:
Just making things a little more clear :)

Related to Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017

1. What is the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017"?

The "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017" is a math problem that was posted on a specific date as part of a weekly series. It is designed to challenge individuals with intermediate level math skills and encourage critical thinking.

2. Where can I find the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017"?

The "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017" can typically be found on a website or social media page that regularly posts math problems. It may also be shared through email or other online platforms.

3. What level of math is required to solve the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017"?

As the name suggests, the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017" is designed for individuals with intermediate level math skills. This may include topics such as algebra, geometry, and basic calculus.

4. Is there a time limit for solving the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017"?

Typically, there is no time limit for solving the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017". However, some websites or social media pages may have a deadline for submitting answers in order to be eligible for any prizes or recognition.

5. Can I collaborate with others to solve the "Intermediate Math Problem of the Week 12/27/2017"?

This may vary depending on the source of the problem. Some websites or social media pages may encourage collaboration, while others may require individuals to solve the problem on their own. It is best to check the rules or guidelines before collaborating with others.