Interference fit of a ring in a groove

In summary, to determine the amount of interference and force required to press a split ring into a retaining ring groove, the first step is to accurately measure the dimensions and then use FEA or a mechanical calculator to calculate the values.
Calculost
Imagine a thick cylinder with a retaining ring groove cut in the ID. I'm replacing the retaining ring with a split ring pressed into the groove.

The split ring I'll have made along with the tool to install it.

What I would like to determine is the amount of interference and the force required to press the ring into the groove.

I can do pin and hole press fit calcs all day and twice on Sunday. Now I'm not looking for a formula...unless it's in Mathcad, then by all means ... I'm just looking for a starting point.. an idea where I should look.

Cheers!
Ken

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best place to start is to measure the exact dimensions of the groove, as well as the exact dimensions of the split ring. You can then use a tool like FEA or a mechanical calculator to determine the amount of interference and force required to press the ring into the groove. Additionally, if you have access to a press, you can use it to test different combinations of rings and grooves to determine the optimal fit.

Related to Interference fit of a ring in a groove

1. What is an interference fit?

An interference fit is a type of fit where two mating parts are intentionally designed to have a slight overlap, resulting in a compression between the two parts when they are assembled together. This fit is often used to create a tight and secure joint between two parts.

2. How is interference fit measured?

Interference fit is typically measured by the amount of interference or overlap between two parts, which is expressed in units of distance such as millimeters or inches. The amount of interference can be calculated by subtracting the inner diameter of the outer part from the outer diameter of the inner part.

3. What factors affect interference fit?

The amount of interference fit is influenced by several factors including the material properties of the mating parts, the temperature of the parts during assembly, the surface finish of the parts, and the amount of force used during assembly. These factors can affect the amount of compression and resulting interference between the parts.

4. How is interference fit used in engineering?

Interference fit is commonly used in engineering to create a secure joint between two parts, such as in bearings, gears, and couplings. It can also be used to prevent rotation or movement between parts, or to provide a seal between two components.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of interference fit?

The main advantages of interference fit include a strong and secure joint between parts, improved load distribution, and no need for additional fasteners. However, some disadvantages include the possibility of damage to parts during assembly, increased difficulty in disassembly, and the need for precise tolerances to ensure proper fit.