Interfacing with uCs class geared toward simple physics experiments

In summary: Thank you for your suggestion!In summary, the conversation revolved around a student who had taught themselves python to complete an assignment from their research group. They were seeking advice on whether the parts they had purchased (Raspi 3, Arduino mega 2560, piTFT 2.8, 37 in 1 sensor kit, hdmi to dvi, usb to usb-b, and charger) were sufficient for a "starting to interfacing" kit for students. They were also looking for suggestions on experiments to conduct for a physics-based class using these parts. The conversation ended with a suggestion to research and implement a fingertip pulse oximeter using the uCs. It was clarified that the lab would
trying2physics
Hey guys,
So this is what actually made me join today. We are taking a interfacing class were most of us students don't even know how to code. However, I currently work in one of the research groups under the professor who is running the class, he gave me the assignment to figure out what parts we would need for the students and to order it, so I've taught myself python and have been tinkering for about two weeks now. I would like to ask you guys if you think the items I got will suffice for a "starting to interfacing" kit for students, and, what I should do with my experiment(s).
Items:
Raspi 3
Arduino mega 2560
piTFT 2.8
37 in 1 sensor kit
hdmi to dvi
usb to usb-b
charger

For the experiments we are suppose to conduct for the class, it only has to be physics based. And I have no idea what to do. Open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
trying2physics said:
Hey guys,
So this is what actually made me join today. We are taking a interfacing class were most of us students don't even know how to code. However, I currently work in one of the research groups under the professor who is running the class, he gave me the assignment to figure out what parts we would need for the students and to order it, so I've taught myself python and have been tinkering for about two weeks now. I would like to ask you guys if you think the items I got will suffice for a "starting to interfacing" kit for students, and, what I should do with my experiment(s).
Items:
Raspi 3
Arduino mega 2560
piTFT 2.8
37 in 1 sensor kit
hdmi to dvi
usb to usb-b
charger

For the experiments we are suppose to conduct for the class, it only has to be physics based. And I have no idea what to do. Open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

I'm having trouble understanding the term "interfacing" in this context. Do you mean "introduction to microcontroller (uC) applications"? That's what your parts list looks like. And the students will be programming the uCs in Python?

EDIT -- Thread title edited after clarification by the OP below.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I'm having trouble understanding the term "interfacing" in this context. Do you mean "introduction to microcontroller (uC) applications"? That's what your parts list looks like. And the students will be programming the uCs in Python?
We will basically use the raspis as a data entry point and use it to control the arduinos. We need to set up some experiment and describe the physics also. I was thinking I could take a big experiment from the past and automate it in a simpler way. I am not sure which one I would want to choose though because we were just assigned this today.
And yes, python was the suggested language.

trying2physics said:
We will basically use the raspis as a data entry point and use it to control the arduinos. We need to set up some experiment and describe the physics also. I was thinking I could take a big experiment from the past and automate it in a simpler way. I am not sure which one I would want to choose though because we were just assigned this today.
And yes, python was the suggested language.
Well, you could research how a fingertip pulse oximeter works, and implement it using the uCs...

You basically want some sort of IO sensor(s), and have the uCs do some processing, and have an output either to the screen or via some actuator or other display. BTW, in your parts list, I didn't see a keyboard, mouse and display. Are those just available in the lab, so you don't need to separately purchase them?

berkeman said:
Well, you could research how a fingertip pulse oximeter works, and implement it using the uCs...

You basically want some sort of IO sensor(s), and have the uCs do some processing, and have an output either to the screen or via some actuator or other display. BTW, in your parts list, I didn't see a keyboard, mouse and display. Are those just available in the lab, so you don't need to separately purchase them?
Yes those will be supplied

Related to Interfacing with uCs class geared toward simple physics experiments

1. What is the purpose of interfacing with uCs in simple physics experiments?

The purpose of interfacing with uCs (microcontrollers) in simple physics experiments is to collect and analyze data from various sensors, such as temperature, light, or motion sensors. This allows for precise and accurate measurements, as well as the ability to control and manipulate experimental conditions.

2. What types of microcontrollers are commonly used for interfacing in physics experiments?

The most commonly used microcontrollers for interfacing in physics experiments are Arduino and Raspberry Pi. These are both affordable and user-friendly options that are widely available and have a large online community for support and resources.

3. Do I need any prior coding experience to interface with uCs for physics experiments?

While some coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior experience to interface with uCs for physics experiments. Many microcontrollers come with user-friendly software and tutorials that make it easy for beginners to get started. Additionally, there are plenty of online resources and communities that can provide guidance and support.

4. Can I use uCs to interface with any type of sensor for my physics experiment?

In general, yes, uCs can be used to interface with a wide range of sensors for physics experiments. However, it is important to make sure that the microcontroller and sensor are compatible and that the correct programming and wiring methods are used for successful data collection and analysis.

5. What are some examples of simple physics experiments that can be done using uCs for interfacing?

Some examples of simple physics experiments that can be done using uCs for interfacing include measuring the speed of a moving object, monitoring changes in temperature or light intensity over time, or creating a basic electronic circuit to study principles of electricity and magnetism. The possibilities are endless and can be tailored to fit the specific interests and goals of the researcher or student.