Interesting Telescoping Series - Calc 2

In summary, the conversation is about a telescoping series in calculus 2. The problem involves evaluating the series with a partial fractions decomposition, but it turns out that this method may not be applicable. The conversation also discusses the starting point of the series and provides a solution using a change of variables and algebraic manipulation.
danerape
Interesting Telescoping Series -- Calc 2

My problem with this series arose when I attempted a partial fractions decompisition of the following, (k-1)/(2^(2k+1). I attempted to factor the denominator with 2(2^k) which is right, but where do I go from there? It does not help much to multiply A*(2^k).

My decomposition was {a*2^k+2b}/2(2^k), where did I go wrong?

Thanks,

Dane

Physics news on Phys.org

Why try partial fractions? I doubt that it is even applicable for this.

Does your sum start at zero or does it start at 1 ?

Problem attached...

It is a telescoping series from shaums outline

Thanks alot

Attachments

• Untitled (1).pdf
    58.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

So, the problem is to evaluate the series:
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}[/itex]​
(There's a typo in your Original Post or in your attached file.)

Note that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}\ =\ \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k}{2^{k+1}}\ -\ \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{k+1}}[/itex] Added in Edit: I doubt that this helps.

Last edited:

The k = 1 term is zero.

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}=0+\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}[/itex]

Let k = j+1. Rewrite the sum on the right in terms of j.

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}=\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{j}{2^{j+2}}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{2}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{j-1+1}{2^{j+1}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{2}\left(\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{j-1}{2^{j+1}}+\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{j+1}} \right)[/itex]
The first sum in the last line is the same as the beginning series. -- It's just written with j rather than k.

Do some algebra to find that [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k-1}{2^{k+1}}=0+\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{j+1}}[/itex]

The sum with j is a geometric series. It converges to a well known result, but can also be evaluated as a telescoping series in a manner similar to what was done above.

Related to Interesting Telescoping Series - Calc 2

1. What is a telescoping series?

A telescoping series is a type of infinite series in which many terms cancel out, leaving only a finite number of terms. This allows for easier calculation of the sum of the series.

2. How do I determine if a series is telescoping?

To determine if a series is telescoping, you can look for a pattern in the terms that cancel out. This can often be seen by grouping terms and simplifying the series.

3. What is the formula for calculating the sum of a telescoping series?

The formula for calculating the sum of a telescoping series is S = lim n → ∞ Sn, where Sn is the nth partial sum of the series. This means that as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity, the sum of the series will approach a finite value.

4. Can a telescoping series diverge?

Yes, a telescoping series can diverge if the terms do not cancel out and the series does not approach a finite value. In this case, the series will have no sum and is considered divergent.

5. How can telescoping series be used in real-world applications?

Telescoping series can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering to calculate the total resistance in an electric circuit or in physics to calculate the total energy in a system. They can also be used in finance to calculate the total cost or profit of a series of transactions.