Interesting Parabola: Learn About t Slope and dx/dt Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses a parabola with a unique property where the slope of the curve is always equal to the parameter in its parametric form. This property is also seen in the function f(x)= e^x, leading to a discussion about whether there is a specific name for this behavior. It is concluded that while it is an interesting property, there is no special name for it. The conversation then delves into the mathematics behind this property and how it relates to the parametric form of the parabola.
srfriggen
On a test in multivariable calculus I came across, what I thought, was an interesting parabola. Figured I'd ask the forum because my professor is pretty unavailable.

In parametric form it is,

x=t+4 , y = (1/2)t^2 + 2

The reason I found it interesting is because t is always equal to the slope of the curve...

recall; dy/dx = dy/dt / dx/dt = t

I've seen a similar property in f(x)= e^x, where x is always equal to dy/dx, which I always found pretty amazing.

Is there a name for such "behavior"? Or are some of you looking at this saying, "that's not so special at all" lol

Just curious.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen a similar property in f(x)= e^x, where x is always equal to dy/dx

that's not true.

Or are some of you looking at this saying, "that's not so special at all" lol

i don't think anything special here(your first example). just some interesting property..

IssacNewton said:
that's not true.

i don't think anything special here(your first example). just some interesting property..

true, I typed that incorrectly. f'(e^x) = e^x, is what I meant. still fascinating.
ok thanks. I just thought there may have been a name for a curve that exhibits such property.

Because dx/dt=1, dy/dt=dy/dx. Now we can see that the parametrization is just getting in the way:

If dy/dx=x, then we can integrate and y=x2/2+C So we find precisely the set of parabolas for which we have dy/dx=x, and then any choice of parametrization for which x=t+D for some constant is going to have the same property as your parabola.

Office_Shredder said:
Because dx/dt=1, dy/dt=dy/dx. Now we can see that the parametrization is just getting in the way:

If dy/dx=x, then we can integrate and y=x2/2+C So we find precisely the set of parabolas for which we have dy/dx=x, and then any choice of parametrization for which x=t+D for some constant is going to have the same property as your parabola.

thanks, that makes a lot of sense :)

Related to Interesting Parabola: Learn About t Slope and dx/dt Properties

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of mathematical curve that is shaped like a U. It is defined by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. The shape of a parabola is determined by the value of the coefficient a, which is also known as the slope.

What is the slope of a parabola?

The slope of a parabola is defined as the rate of change of the curve at any given point. It represents how steep or flat the curve is at that point. The slope of a parabola can be calculated using the derivative, which is represented by dx/dt. This derivative is also known as the rate of change of x or the instantaneous velocity.

How does the slope of a parabola change?

The slope of a parabola changes as the value of the coefficient a changes. If a is a positive number, the parabola will open upwards and the slope will increase as x increases. If a is a negative number, the parabola will open downwards and the slope will decrease as x increases.

What is the significance of the slope of a parabola?

The slope of a parabola has many practical applications. It can be used to determine the direction and speed of an object's motion, such as a ball being thrown in the air. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the acceleration of objects and the shape of certain structures.

How can I graph a parabola and analyze its slope?

To graph a parabola, you can plot points using the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to generate the graph. To analyze the slope, you can use the derivative dx/dt to find the slope at specific points. You can also use the slope formula to calculate the slope between any two points on the parabola.