Interesting observation concerning hydroxychloroquine

In summary: Case fatality rate/ratio: number of deaths / number of people diagnosed with the diseaseThe case fatality rate for Covid-19 is significantly higher than either the malaria or SARS-CoV-2 case fatality rates.In summary, the case fatality rate for Covid-19 is significantly higher than either the malaria or SARS-CoV-2 case fatality rates.
Slightly tangential, I've been having an on-going argument with a HCQ supporter on another, non-physorg forum. First, he claimed it was a panacea. Then, he claimed Trumpotus endorsement as 'holy writ'. Then he claimed HCQ had to be taken at much higher dosage than routine anti-malarial. Then he claimed it had to be synergised with zinc supplements. Then he claimed it also had to be synergised with Vit-D...

I quoted the MontyPython 'Inquisition' sketch...
Ximinez: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency... Our *three* weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise... I'll come in again. (Exit and exeunt)

Biology news on Phys.org
You'll notice when looking at per capita death rates from Covid-19 on worldometer, assuming the data are at least somewhat accurate, that industrialized, wealthier countries are more affected. One possible explanation (and there are probably a number of explanations worth exploring) is that per capita protein consumption is typically higher in these countries, leading to higher baseline mTOR activation. A number of viruses are known to exploit the mTOR pathway and mTOR inhibition has been suggested as treatment for covid-19:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32313883/

Also note that most of the risk factors for severe Covid-19 all have an underlying theme of dysfunctional AMPK signalling and perhaps sedentary habits are more prevalent in wealthier nations, leading to lower baseline AMPK activation. Resistant starch consumption also affects AMPK activation.

Rhyo9 said:
You'll notice when looking at per capita death rates from Covid-19 on worldometer, assuming the data are at least somewhat accurate, that industrialized, wealthier countries are more affected.

Sadly, tragically, this could change very rapidly now Covid has become rampant in the impoverished and too-often malnourished favellas, shanty-towns etc etc of South America, Africa and India.

I hope you are correct, and those areas don't suffer deaths by the bazillion. I fear their losses will dwarf ours...

Edit - redirect my ping to Nik_2213

@Nik_2213 - you pretty much summed up the problems of presenting Science about drug tests and getting a raspberry (spelled "plplpl" ) back saying 'I know that Tide detergent enemas cure Covid-19'. The underinformed folks, mostly trolls, who do this kind of thing know: create enough noise about 'I am right' and you will give up. So I did.

I gave up on most of the dialogue like that about the Biology/Medicine re: the pandemic. He/She/It/troll will not relent and is generally immune to demonstrable facts.

So I stay on PF. Why?

You do not see much of that on PF. Because - There are a lot of us who spend time vetting poor posts from almost okay posts in order to keep crud out of sight. Most of the time.

We also have low tolerance for political slants that creep into Science Forums from time to time.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Nik_2213
Nik_2213 said:
Sadly, tragically, this could change very rapidly now Covid has become rampant in the impoverished and too-often malnourished favellas, shanty-towns etc etc of South America, Africa and India.

I hope you are correct, and those areas don't suffer deaths by the bazillion. I fear their losses will dwarf ours...
I hope so; sometimes I get stuff right, sometimes I don't. I managed to correctly predict the disproportionate effect on the African American and Southwest Native American populations, just based on the AMPK thing - that's something I wish I had not been correct about.

Vitamin D supplementation could help to reduce risk in the African American population - the relationship between ARDS (caused by both infection and trauma) and vitamin D status is well-established from interventional studies and it seems like a no-brainer to encourage people in general to mind their vitamin D status. However, I don't think that vitamin D is the whole story wrt the Af Am population and covid.

The recall on metformin could not have come at a worse time; I hope people can still get their metformin Rx's filled. OTOH I have not heard of people on metformin doing better (or worse) than people on other diabetes medications - though such comparisons would have to correct for degree of disease control (by controlling for markers such as HbA1c and fasting glucose) and might not 'jump out' at someone doing a preliminary analysis. Glitazones could possibly offer protection, also.

I have to say that following the information from the Oxford medical centre and the WHO, I thought that the issue of hydroxychloroquine had largely been settled. It was considered ineffective and was associated with some important side effects.

Unfortunately there have been some recent publications that have raised some issues over this research and the results. It appears that the data used in these studies was from patient groups treated with very high doses of HCQ, none appeared to have received doses consistent with prescribing guidelines. This would explain the side effects they described at the very least, but there seems no real justification provided for the very high doses used.

A recently published paper from Belgium of a large (8000+ subjects) retrospective analysis of hospital mortality comparing those given HCQ at normal doses to those who received supportive care only, provides some very different conclusions. They report an inpatient mortality rate of 17.7% for those treated with HCQ compared to a mortality rate of 27.1% in those not given the drug, the researchers had also built in controls for demographic variables and other risk factors. This is a significant difference that cannot be explained by any limitation in the methods and must be a cause for concern about the studies that stopped HCQ being widely used.
There has also been some other studies using HCQ + some other treatments that appear to offer support to this finding.

Main study;

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920303423

other evidence;

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893920302817?via=ihub

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Likes Rhyo9
TimeDoctor said:
You cannot use an antimalarial to treat an antiviral infection.

By that logic, you can't use blood pressure medication to regrow hair. And yet...

Likes Rhyo9
Good news on HCQ. Dose makes the poison - and the medicine.

More good news is that type 2 diabetes patients on metformin have a 70% reduced risk of death from Covid as compared to T2D patients on other anti-diabetes drugs:
https://reference.medscape.com/viewarticle/935386
{ good news and also a relief to finally get a question answered that has been itching me since March }
Metformin's MOA is generally thought to be via AMPK activation though recently there is some debate in the literature on this point. However, there seems to be pretty good evidence that is does improve AMPK signalling overall. There are some aging researchers (e.g. David Sinclair ) who take metformin for life extension, but it seems like the safest way to improve AMPK signalling is through regular exercise.

Also, Kenya does not seem to be having as much of a problem with covid:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.27.20162693v1

This could be due to low protein consumption > low baseline mTOR activation as I had suggested, however, there's another interesting possibility - high seroprevalence for hepatitis A:
http://www.ectrx.org/forms/ectrxcontentshow.php?year=2020&volume=18&issue=2&supplement=0&makale_no=0&spage_number=141&content_type=FULL TEXT

My daughter's doctor had her vaccinated for pneumococcus and hep A; she has Celiac so the pneumovax was expected but I did not know about hep A until I read up on it. Good doctor.

Last edited: