Interesting maths problems -- can you share some?

• I
  • Thread starter moriheru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the speaker is looking for interesting problems or theorems in math and asks the listener to share any they may know. The listener suggests checking out the Millennium Problems and a list of known unsolved problems in mathematics. They also recommend the book "Math 1001" by Prof Elwes as a source for exploring different math topics and potentially finding new ideas.
moriheru
I would like to think about some interesting problems or interesting theorems to which one could find a proof. If you should know any I would be delighted if you could share them. Thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Another source of math problems for me has been the book:

Math 1001 by Prof Elwes

Its a survey of a large variety of math topics using a few paragraphs to describe each one. For some he'll mention that its an unsolved question or theorem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554077192/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its pretty cheap too at $20 or less paperback at $13

Related to Interesting maths problems -- can you share some?

1. What makes a math problem interesting?

A math problem is considered interesting when it challenges our critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills. It should be complex enough to require multiple steps and different strategies to solve, but also have a straightforward solution that can be reached with some effort.

2. Can you give an example of an interesting math problem?

One example of an interesting math problem is the Monty Hall problem. It involves a game show host, three doors, and a prize hidden behind one of the doors. The contestant must choose a door, and then the host reveals one of the remaining doors that doesn't have the prize. The contestant is then given the option to switch their choice. The problem asks which choice gives the contestant a better chance of winning the prize.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

To improve your problem-solving skills in math, it's important to practice regularly and approach problems with a systematic and organized mindset. It also helps to break down the problem into smaller parts, try different strategies, and think outside the box. Collaborating with others and seeking help when needed can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any famous unsolved math problems?

Yes, there are several famous unsolved math problems, such as the Riemann Hypothesis, Navier-Stokes Equations, and the Goldbach Conjecture. These problems have puzzled mathematicians for decades and continue to be a subject of research and debate.

5. How can I make math problems more interesting for my students?

To make math problems more interesting for students, you can incorporate real-life scenarios, puzzles, and games into the problems. It's also helpful to provide different levels of difficulty and encourage students to use their creativity and critical thinking skills to solve the problems. Using technology and interactive activities can also make math problems more engaging for students.