Interesting Joint Stiffness Method

In summary, the conversation discussed a method for determining the stiffness of a bolted joint using FE analysis. This method involved using RBE2 and CBUSH elements to model the bolt and surrounding material stiffness. The stiffness of the bolt was calculated using Shigley's method, while the stiffness of the surrounding material was approximated by multiplying the bolt stiffness by 2 for longitudinal stiffness and by 0.4 for transverse stiffness. While this method may offer a reasonable approximation, it may not be accurate in all cases and conducting tests to determine the exact stiffness of the material may be a better approach.
norman_neo
So I was doing some FE work (w/ NASTRAN) to determine the stiffness in all 6 DOF of a model bolted to another model. To characterize the bolted interfaces I attached surface nodes within the bolt frustums to rigid body elements (RBE2). Then, these RBE2s were connected with a directional stiffness element (CBUSH) to model the bolt. To determine the directional stiffnesses I used a method suggested by another person with much more experience.

Using Shigley's method, I found the bolt stiffness as so Kb = E*At/L'. Where At was the tensile area and L' was the effective grip length.

Then, to approximate the surrounding material stiffness, I multiplied Kb by 2. This was the longitudinal directional stiffness (2*Kb).

The transverse directional stiffness was found by multiplying the longitudinal joint stiffness by G/E ~ 0.4 to get a short beam in shear vs. tension stiffness.

This is a method that I had never heard of, or thought of. But because it was based on industry experience, I used with it. Does anybody have any comments or thoughtful input on this method?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems reasonable to assume that the stiffness of the surrounding material should be greater than that of the bolt itself, and multiplying by 2 seems to account for this. However, it is difficult to determine the exact stiffness of any material without testing it, so this method can only offer an approximation of the stiffness. Additionally, multiplying by 0.4 to approximate the transverse stiffness of the surrounding material may not be accurate in all cases, as many materials can have different shear-to-tension stiffness ratios. It may be better to conduct tests to determine the shear-to-tension stiffness ratio of the material, then use that ratio to more accurately calculate the transverse stiffness.

Related to Interesting Joint Stiffness Method

What is the Interesting Joint Stiffness Method?

The Interesting Joint Stiffness Method is a mathematical approach used in structural engineering to analyze the stiffness and behavior of joints in a structure. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of buildings and other large structures.

How does the Interesting Joint Stiffness Method work?

The method involves breaking down a complex structure into smaller, simpler parts called substructures. The stiffness of each substructure is then calculated using matrix algebra, and the stiffness of the entire structure is determined by combining the stiffnesses of the substructures. This allows for a more manageable and accurate analysis of the overall structure.

What are the advantages of using the Interesting Joint Stiffness Method?

One of the main advantages of this method is its ability to accurately model the behavior of joints in a structure. This allows for more precise analysis and design, leading to safer and more efficient structures. Additionally, the method can handle complex structures with multiple joints, making it a versatile tool for structural engineers.

Are there any limitations to the Interesting Joint Stiffness Method?

While the method is useful for many structural engineering applications, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it cannot account for material nonlinearity or large deformations. It also requires a significant amount of computational power and may not be suitable for quick analysis or design iterations.

How is the Interesting Joint Stiffness Method different from other structural analysis methods?

The Interesting Joint Stiffness Method is a type of stiffness-based analysis, meaning it focuses on the stiffness of the structure rather than its individual members. This is different from other methods such as force-based or displacement-based analysis. Additionally, the method is unique in its ability to accurately model the behavior of joints, which is crucial in the design of many structures.