Interesting integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given integral where both A and B are constants. The individual has already attempted a solution by expanding the root and considering the first two terms, but it only provides a crude approximation. They are looking for a numerical solution and someone suggests using Simpson's Rule. However, the individual points out that this may not help with an indefinite integral and they are in need of an anti-derivative.
collpitt

Homework Statement

In the given integral, both A and B are constants.

Homework Equations

∫{[A+(1/x²-Bx)]^1/2}dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have solved the problem by expanding the root and considering the first two terms only,
but it gives a very crude approximation of the required result.
Anyone having any ideas or comments, please do reply.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a problem in a homework or something? I can't see how to do it. Was it a definite or indefinite integral? If definite, can you do something numerical?

Well actually it is sort of a homework problem and unfortunately, it is indefinite. I am looking for a numerical solution by defining the limits. It would be very helpful if you could give me a good algorithm for the numerical integration.

Thank you!

Well, for an algorithm, just google Simpson's Rule. (Try the 3/8 one first).

But, I don't really see how this will help if the integral is indefinite. What you really need is an anti-derivative and I just don't think that a non-really-complicated one exists.

Related to Interesting integration problem

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a function. It is a way of calculating the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why are integration problems important?

Integration problems are important because they have a wide range of applications in science, engineering, and finance. They can be used to solve real-world problems such as calculating the velocity of an object, finding the volume of a solid, or determining the profit from a business investment.

3. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the form of the function being integrated.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving integration problems is through practice. Make sure to familiarize yourself with different integration techniques and work through a variety of problems to build your understanding and problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me with integration problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help you with integration problems. Some examples include integration calculators, step-by-step problem solvers, and video tutorials. It is also helpful to consult textbooks or work with a tutor or peer who is knowledgeable in integration.