Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma

In summary, this conversation discusses a legal dilemma surrounding the distribution of digital copyrighted material using basic public key encryption. It raises questions about the legality of distributing a third file that is created by XORing a public domain file with the copyrighted file, and whether the copyright holder has ownership over the multiple possible bit sequences that can be generated using this algorithm. The conversation also touches on the concept of encryption and the potential implications of this encryption scheme. The link to the project mentioned is provided as a reference for further exploration of the topic.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
This project brings up an interesting legal dilemma with basic public key encryption and sharing digital copyrighted material:

http://monolith.sourceforge.net/

----------
Here is the basic gist:

Let's say I have a copyrighted file that is represented by the following bit sequence:

Bob's Copyrighted File: 10100010001

I also have a file in the public domain with the following bit sequence:

Public Domain File: 11011001010

If I where to distribute this public domain file on the internet, I could without any legal repercussions.

Now let's say I XOR the public domain file with Bob's file such that I get a third file:

My 3rd File: 01111011011

Would it be legal for me to distribute this 3rd file to people on the internet since this 3rd file isn't bob's copyrighted file?

The neat thing about this algorithm is that if you get a hold of both the public domain file and the 3rd file and XOR them you get Bob's copyrighted file.

Depending on the public domain file you could in theory generate an infinite number of 3rd files. Does the copyright holder own all these different bit sequences? Does the copyright holder own the XOR operator?

Computer science news on Phys.org
This is just an encryption scheme -- it would surprise me if this is anything new.

I know it is encryption and I know it's not new. I just thought it would be interesting to find out peoples' opinions on distributing the 3rd file.

I guess I just don't see how this is any different than putting the file in a windows encrypted folder and distributing that... or even just gzipping it and distributing that!

Am I reading too much into the fact that you chose to link to this particular project?

Related to Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma

1. What is the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma"?

The "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" refers to the ethical and legal issues surrounding the sharing of digital content, such as music, movies, and books, on the internet.

2. Why is the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" important to study?

The "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" is important to study because it affects the way we consume and distribute digital content, and has implications for copyright laws, intellectual property rights, and the future of the internet.

3. What are some examples of the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" in action?

Examples of the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" include illegal downloading of movies and music, sharing copyrighted content on social media, and the use of peer-to-peer file sharing networks.

4. How do scientists approach studying the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma"?

Scientists approach studying the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" through research and data analysis, examining the impact of digital sharing on industries and individuals, and proposing solutions to address ethical and legal concerns.

5. What are some potential solutions to the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma"?

Potential solutions to the "Interesting Digital Sharing Dilemma" include implementing stricter copyright laws and enforcement, promoting fair use and creative commons licensing, and developing new business models for digital content distribution.