Interaction-picture and gell-mann low

• Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
In summary, the Interaction-picture is a method used in quantum mechanics to study the evolution of a system over time by splitting the Hamiltonian into two parts. It differs from the Schrödinger-picture by keeping operators constant while the state evolves. The Gell-Mann Low formula, also known as the Callan-Symanzik equation, is used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of a system at different energy scales. It is related to the renormalization group and has practical applications in various fields, including the development of new technologies.
geoduck
Suppose you want to evaluate:

$$\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle$$

where [itex]\Omega [/itex] is the ground state of the full Hamiltonian, and the fields are in the Heisenberg representation. Assume [itex]x_0 > y_0 [/itex] for now. Then it's straightforward to show that

$$\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle=\langle \Omega | S^\dagger(t,0)\phi_I(x) S(x_0, y_0) \phi_I(y) S(y_0,0) | \Omega \rangle$$

where the fields are in the interaction representation [itex] \phi_I(x)=\phi_F(x)[/itex], [itex]S(t,t')=U(t)U^\dagger(t') [/itex], and [itex]U(t)=e^{iH_0t}e^{-iHt}[/itex], where subscript [itex]F [/itex] stands for the free-field.

According to Wikipedia, the Gell-Mann Low formula is:

$$ |\Psi^{(\pm)}_\epsilon \rangle = \frac{ U_{\epsilon I} (0,\pm\infty) |\Psi_0 \rangle}{\langle \Psi_0 | U_{\epsilon I}(0,\pm\infty)|\Psi_0\rangle} $$

I want to use this in my equation to have an expression in terms of the noninteracting vacuum [itex]|\Psi_0\rangle [/itex] instead of the interacting one [itex]|\Omega \rangle[/itex].

Is it correct to say that [itex]|\Psi^{(-)}_\epsilon \rangle [/itex] is equal to my [itex]|\Omega \rangle [/itex], and [itex]\langle \Psi^{(+)}_\epsilon | [/itex] is equal to my [itex]\langle \Omega| [/itex]?

If I do this, then I get:

$$\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle=\frac{\langle \Psi_0 |U^\dagger_{\epsilon I} (0, \infty) S^\dagger(x_0,0)\phi_I(x) S(x_0, y_0) \phi_I(y) S(y_0,0) U_{\epsilon I} (0, -\infty) |\Psi_0 \rangle}{\langle \Psi_0 | U_{\epsilon I}(0,\infty)|\Psi_0\rangle^* \langle \Psi_0 | U_{\epsilon I}(0,-\infty)|\Psi_0\rangle}$$

Now assume that their [itex]U_{\epsilon I}[/itex] corresponds to my [itex]S [/itex]. Then using the property that [itex]S^\dagger(t,t')=S(t',t) [/itex] and [itex]S(t,t')S(t',t'')=S(t,t'') [/itex] I get:

$$\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle=\frac{\langle \Psi_0 |S(\infty,x_0)\phi_I(x) S(x_0, y_0) \phi_I(y) S(y_0, -\infty) |\Psi_0 \rangle}{\langle \Psi_0 | S(\infty,0)|\Psi_0\rangle \langle \Psi_0 | S(0,-\infty)|\Psi_0\rangle}$$

This is almost the Green's function written in the interaction picture, except the denominator is wrong. The correct expression is:

$$\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle=\frac{\langle \Psi_0 |TS(\infty,-\infty)\phi_I(x) \phi_I(y) |\Psi_0 \rangle}{\langle \Psi_0 | S(\infty,-\infty)||\Psi_0\rangle}$$

I don't think the two denominators are equal. In general you need a complete set of unperturbed energy eigenstates, and not just one, to make the two denominators equal.

Also, what is the meaning of choosing two different vacuums for the bra and ket, [itex]|\Psi^{(\pm)}_\epsilon \rangle [/itex], for the interacting ground state? I thought we usually assume the interacting ground state is nondegenerate? But it seems that it's doubly degenerate.

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully evaluate and analyze equations and theories to ensure their accuracy and validity. In this case, it is correct to say that $|\Psi^{(-)}_\epsilon \rangle$ is equivalent to $|\Omega \rangle$ and $\langle \Psi^{(+)}_\epsilon |$ is equivalent to $\langle \Omega |$. This is because the Gell-Mann Low formula is used to transform the state $|\Omega \rangle$ into the non-interacting vacuum $|\Psi_0 \rangle$.

However, the expression you have derived for $\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle$ is not entirely correct. As you mentioned, the denominator should involve a complete set of unperturbed energy eigenstates, and not just one. Additionally, the choice of two different vacuums for the bra and ket, $|\Psi^{(\pm)}_\epsilon \rangle$, for the interacting ground state is not necessary. In fact, the interacting ground state is typically assumed to be non-degenerate.

It is important to carefully consider all aspects of a theory and its derivations to ensure that the final result is accurate and consistent. In this case, it may be helpful to revisit the derivation and make any necessary corrections to arrive at the correct expression for $\langle \Omega | T\phi(x) \phi(y) | \Omega \rangle$.

Related to Interaction-picture and gell-mann low

1. What is the Interaction-picture in physics?

The Interaction-picture is a method used in quantum mechanics to study the evolution of a system over time. It involves splitting the Hamiltonian (the operator representing the total energy of the system) into two parts: one that describes the free evolution of the system, and one that describes the interactions between particles. This allows for easier calculations and a clearer understanding of the system's behavior.

2. How does the Interaction-picture differ from the Schrödinger-picture?

In the Schrödinger-picture, the operators representing the system's observables (such as position and momentum) are time-dependent. In the Interaction-picture, these operators remain constant, while the state of the system evolves with time. This makes it easier to calculate the time evolution of the system's observables.

3. What is the Gell-Mann Low formula used for?

The Gell-Mann Low formula, also known as the Callan-Symanzik equation, is used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of a system at different energy scales. It relates the coupling constant (a parameter that describes the strength of interactions between particles) to the energy scale of the system, allowing for predictions of how the system will behave at different energy levels.

4. How does the Gell-Mann Low formula relate to the renormalization group?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of a system at different length scales. The Gell-Mann Low formula is one of the key equations used in this framework, as it allows for the calculation of the system's behavior at different energy scales.

5. What are the practical applications of the Interaction-picture and Gell-Mann Low formula?

The Interaction-picture and Gell-Mann Low formula are used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. They have practical applications in the study of complex systems and the prediction of their behavior at different energy scales. They have also been used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and high-energy particle accelerators.