Interaction of Photon with water

In summary, Yaya is concerned about the collimation of the incoming light, which could be reduced by using a coolant. He recommends testing the rig for performance and adjusting the experiment design accordingly.
ooiuniscience
Dear all respected expert/collegues,

I'm setting out a photoelectrochemical cell. I'm facing problem to regulate temperature in my photoreactor durng reaction.

Can i just dip the photoreactor inside a big water jacket?
But i wondering incoming photon or light supplied by my Xenon arc lamp become uncollimated after it pass through so many obstacles (consisted fo wall of water jacket which is fabricated flat quartz-made window, followed by flowing water that circulating inside the water jacket then strike onto window of quartz-made photoelectrochemical cell, and finally just reach my thin film inside the photoelectrochemical cell.

P/s advice me on this :-)

Thanks for your fruitful input

Jeff

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What you can do with the photoreactor depends on it's design and what sort of reactions you want to take place.

Keeping it cool would normally involve immersing it in a water bath - or running coolant in tubes around (or through) it.

In general, a collimated beam remains collimated through a range of media provided the beam is narrow.
Intervening material can attenuate and spread the beam ... depending on details not supplied.
Since this is of concern, you should test your rig for it's performance and adjust your experiment design accordingly.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
What you can do with the photoreactor depends on it's design and what sort of reactions you want to take place.

Keeping it cool would normally involve immersing it in a water bath - or running coolant in tubes around (or through) it.

In general, a collimated beam remains collimated through a range of media provided the beam is narrow.
Intervening material can attenuate and spread the beam ... depending on details not supplied.
Since this is of concern, you should test your rig for it's performance and adjust your experiment design accordingly.

Hi Simon,
Greeting to you! :)
Yaya, you are right. The major concern is the attention matter due to hampering of the photon with intermediate medium before it strike into my sample. If use coolant, the transmission would be reduced significantly as good collant will have low transmission.

For "a collimated beam remains collimated through a range of media provided the beam is narrow", is it works for UV and visible light bc i tend to harness both of this light to excite my substrate.

However, really thanks for your inputs ;-)

You arrange for the coolant to be transparent to the incoming light or admit the light through a window.

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for reaching out about your photoelectrochemical cell and the issue you are facing with temperature regulation. It is understandable that you are considering using a water jacket to regulate the temperature, but it is important to consider the potential effects on the interaction of photons with water.

Water is known to have a strong absorption of light in the ultraviolet and infrared regions, but it is relatively transparent in the visible region. This means that the photons emitted by your Xenon arc lamp, which are in the visible range, should not be significantly affected by passing through the water jacket and reaching your thin film. However, it is important to note that the more obstacles the light encounters, the higher the chance of scattering and diffraction, which can affect the collimation of the light.

You may also want to consider the potential effects of the circulating water on the window of your photoelectrochemical cell. Depending on the flow rate and turbulence, the water may cause distortions or variations in the thickness of the water layer on the window, which can also affect the collimation and intensity of the light reaching your thin film.

In summary, while using a water jacket may be a viable option for temperature regulation, it is important to carefully consider its potential effects on the interaction of photons with water and the resulting collimation and intensity of the light reaching your thin film. It may be beneficial to conduct some experiments or simulations to determine the potential impact before implementing this solution.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your research.

Best,

Related to Interaction of Photon with water

What is the interaction of photon with water?

The interaction of photon with water is the process by which a photon, which is a unit of electromagnetic radiation, interacts with water molecules. This can include absorption, scattering, and reflection of the photon by the water molecules.

How does water affect the behavior of photons?

Water can affect the behavior of photons in several ways. It can absorb photons, causing them to lose energy and potentially heat up the water. It can also scatter photons in different directions, changing their trajectory. Additionally, water can reflect photons, causing them to bounce off its surface.

What is the role of wavelength in the interaction of photon with water?

The wavelength of a photon plays a significant role in its interaction with water. Shorter wavelengths, such as those in the ultraviolet and visible light spectrum, are more easily absorbed by water molecules. Longer wavelengths, like those in the infrared spectrum, can pass through water with less absorption.

How does the temperature of water affect the interaction with photons?

The temperature of water can impact the interaction with photons in a few ways. Higher temperatures can increase the kinetic energy of water molecules, making them more likely to absorb photons and heat up. Additionally, temperature can affect the density and refractive index of water, which can alter the path and behavior of photons passing through it.

What are some practical applications of studying the interaction of photon with water?

Understanding the interaction of photon with water is important in many fields, including environmental science, biology, and technology. For example, it can help us study the effects of UV radiation on aquatic ecosystems, develop techniques for water purification, and improve technologies like solar panels and optical sensors that rely on photon-water interactions.