Intensity of EM waves in a conducting medium

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to calculate the intensity in a conducting medium using the time average of the poynting vector, which is the cross product of the Electric and Magnetic fields. The equations for the fields are given and the cross product is integrated over a whole period to get the time average, resulting in a 1/2 cos phi term. The issue is that the modulous of the complex wave number times the cosine of phi is actually the real part of the complex wave number. This can be deduced by graphing k in the complex plane. The desired expression for the intensity is then shown to be \frac{a}{2 \mu \omega} E_0^2 \exp(-2bz).
ptabor
I'm attempting to calculate the above, but I'm stuck.
What I have thus far:

intensity is the time average of the poynting vector, where the poynting vector is the cross product of the E and B fields.
Using the given expressions, I get:
[tex] \frac{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}{\mu \omega} E_0^2 \exp(-2bz) \frac{\cos\phi}{2} [/tex]

where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex wave number, k.

[tex] \phi [/tex] is of course the phase angle between the E and B fields (since this is a conducting medium the B field lags).

I'm supposed to show that the intensity is
[tex] \frac{a}{2 \mu \omega} E_0^2 \exp(-2bz) [/tex]
but I don't know how to proceed.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps some clarification is in order.

The equations for the Electric and Magnetic fields are as follows:

[tex]
E(z,t) = E_0 \exp (-kz) \cos(kz - \omega t + \delta_e)
B(z,t) = \frac{K}{\omega} E_0 \exp(-kz) \cos(kz - \omega t + \delta_b)
[/tex]

I take their cross product (E is in x direction, B is in y, so poynting vector is in z) and integrate over a whole period (omega over two pi) to get the time average. This gives me the 1/2 cos phi term.

K is the modulous of the complex wave number, so it's the square root of the sum of the squared real and imaginary parts (the a and b)

if anyone was wondering

This is problem 9.20 from Griffith's intro to E&M

What I missed, in case anybody was wondering, is that the modulous of the complex wave number times the cosine of phi is in fact the real part of the complex wave number, as required.

This can be deduced most easily by graphing k in the complex plane.

Related to Intensity of EM waves in a conducting medium

1. What is the effect of a conducting medium on the intensity of EM waves?

A conducting medium can significantly reduce the intensity of EM waves passing through it. This is because the free electrons in the medium can absorb and scatter the EM waves, causing them to lose energy and decrease in intensity.

2. How does the intensity of EM waves change as they travel through a conducting medium?

The intensity of EM waves decreases exponentially as they travel through a conducting medium. This can be described by the Beer-Lambert law, where the intensity is proportional to the initial intensity, the distance traveled, and the conductivity of the medium.

3. Can the intensity of EM waves be increased in a conducting medium?

Yes, it is possible to increase the intensity of EM waves in a conducting medium by using external sources of energy, such as an amplifier. However, this can also result in heating and damage to the conducting medium.

4. How does the frequency of EM waves affect their intensity in a conducting medium?

The higher the frequency of EM waves, the more they are affected by a conducting medium. This is because higher frequency waves have shorter wavelengths, making them more susceptible to scattering by the free electrons in the medium.

5. Is the intensity of EM waves in a conducting medium uniform?

No, the intensity of EM waves in a conducting medium is not uniform. It decreases exponentially as the waves travel through the medium, and can also vary depending on the conductivity of different regions within the medium.