Intensity - Double slit diffraction

In summary: Therefore, the two limit cases are consistent with each other and there is no mistake in the expression for intensity.
assed
Hello. I have been studying interference and diffraction and one doubt has appeared. When you consider the double slit experiment forgeting the effects of diffraction you get the following equation for intensity

[itex]I^{}=4I_{0}cos^{2}(\frac{πdsin(θ)}{λ})[/itex]

where d is the distance between the slits.
For the single slit diffraction we get

[itex]I^{}=I_{0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{2}[/itex]

[itex]x^{}=(\frac{asinθπ}{λ})[/itex]

where a is the width of the slit.

Then for the double-slit case considering diffraction we get

[itex]I^{}=4I_{0}cos^{2}(\frac{πdsin(θ)}{λ})(\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{2}[/itex]

My doubt raises when i consider the two limit cases:
1.For a/λ going to 0 the expression becomes that of the interference-only case.
2.But when we consider d=0(the distance between the centers of the slits) the expression obtained is

[itex]I^{}=4I_{0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{2}[/itex]

which is different from that of the single slit case although doing d=0 we are turning two slits of width a in one slit of width a.

My thoughts trying to solve this problem have considered that maybe i am taking the limit case wrong (although i haven't found where) or some expression for the intensity is wrong.

Thanks in advance for your attention, expecting a good answer...

PS.:I also apologize in advance for any mistake in my english writing...Brazilian here.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The expression for the intensity in the double slit case considering diffraction is correct, however you are not taking the limit case correctly. When the distance between the slits (d) is zero, the equation for intensity simplifies to:I^{}=4I_{0}(\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{2}where x = (\frac{a sinθπ}{λ}), a being the width of the slit. This is the same equation for intensity as the single slit diffraction case, since the two slits have been combined into one slit of width 'a'.

Related to Intensity - Double slit diffraction

1. What is the concept of intensity in double slit diffraction?

The intensity in double slit diffraction refers to the amount of light or energy per unit area that passes through a specific point on a screen or surface. It is a measure of the brightness or strength of the light waves that are diffracted by the two slits.

2. How does the distance between the double slits affect the intensity pattern?

The distance between the double slits plays a significant role in the intensity pattern observed on the screen. As the distance increases, the intensity pattern becomes more spread out, resulting in a wider central maximum and less defined secondary maxima.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction?

The wavelength of light has an inverse relationship with the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction. This means that as the wavelength increases, the intensity pattern becomes more spread out and less intense, while a shorter wavelength results in a more focused and intense pattern.

4. How does the width of the slits affect the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction?

The width of the slits also affects the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction. A narrower slit results in a wider and more intense central maximum, while a wider slit produces a narrower and less intense central maximum.

5. Can the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction be altered by changing the source of light?

Yes, the intensity pattern in double slit diffraction can be altered by changing the source of light. Different sources of light have different wavelengths and therefore, will result in different intensity patterns. For example, a laser with a narrow wavelength will produce a more focused and intense pattern compared to a broad-spectrum white light source.