Intensities and magnitudes in natural science

In summary, earthquakes are measured in magnitudes, which are an increase in energy release by a factor of ten, while hurricanes are measured in intensities, which are an increase in speed by a constant amount. The development of these scales may provide further insight into the reasoning behind this difference.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My friend edits grade school textbooks and often has science questions. While I pretty much know the answers, I like to get them verified from more reliable sources.

This is once such question asked:

earthquakes vs. hurricanes
Why do we measure the magnitude of earthquakes, but the intensity of hurricanes?

Just an interesting choice of words?

This was my response:
An "order of magnitude" is an increase by a common <b>factor</b>, usually ten.

10 is an order of magnitude larger than 1;
1000 is an order of magnitude larger than 100.

This is how Earthquakes are measured. Each increase of a number by one is an order of magnitude greater in energy release of the quake. i.e. a mag 7 earthquake is 10 times larger than a mag 6, which is 10x larger than a mag 5.

Hurricane measurement uses a more linear approach: Intensity is an increase by a common constant. The categories 1-5 are more or less the same size i.e. a Category 5 is about 35kmh greater than a Category 4, which is about 35kmh greater than a Category 3.

So, in a nutshell, intensity measures changes on a linear scale, whereas magnitude measures changes on a geometric scale.
True? I mean is this why Earthquakes are measured as magnitudes while hurricanes are measured as intensities?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Interesting question- the Fujita scale of tornado *intensity* has rough agreement with your reasoning for hurricane intensity... there is an earthquake intensity scale (Mercalli)...

Do you know anything about the development of these scales? That may give a clue.

Yes, that is correct. The reason for this difference is due to the nature of the phenomena being measured. Earthquakes release energy in a logarithmic manner, meaning that each increase in magnitude represents a significant increase in energy release. This is why it is more appropriate to use a scale that measures orders of magnitude.

On the other hand, hurricanes release energy in a more linear manner, meaning that each increase in intensity represents a relatively consistent increase in wind speed. Therefore, it is more appropriate to use a scale that measures changes in intensity on a linear scale.

Additionally, the measurement of hurricanes also takes into account other factors such as pressure and storm surge, which cannot be easily measured on a magnitude scale. Overall, the use of different scales for measuring earthquakes and hurricanes is based on the most effective and accurate way to measure and understand these natural phenomena.

Related to Intensities and magnitudes in natural science

1. What is the difference between intensity and magnitude in natural science?

Intensity refers to the amount or strength of a certain phenomenon, while magnitude refers to the size or scale of that phenomenon. For example, the intensity of an earthquake can be measured by the strength of the seismic waves, while the magnitude is expressed on a scale of 1 to 10 based on the energy released.

2. How are intensities and magnitudes measured in natural science?

Intensities can be measured using instruments such as seismometers, thermometers, or spectrophotometers. Magnitudes are typically calculated based on data collected from these instruments and are often expressed on logarithmic scales to represent the vast range of values.

3. What is the significance of understanding intensities and magnitudes in natural science?

Understanding the intensities and magnitudes of natural phenomena is crucial for predicting and mitigating potential hazards. For example, knowing the intensity and magnitude of a hurricane can help communities prepare and evacuate, while understanding the intensity and magnitude of an earthquake can aid in building stronger structures to withstand potential damage.

4. How do intensities and magnitudes vary across different natural phenomena?

The range of intensities and magnitudes vary greatly depending on the type of natural phenomenon. For instance, the intensity and magnitude of a tornado will be vastly different from that of a volcanic eruption. It is important to have specific measurement scales and methods for each type of phenomenon to accurately compare and analyze data.

5. Can intensities and magnitudes change over time in natural science?

Yes, intensities and magnitudes can change over time in natural science. For example, the intensity of a wildfire can increase or decrease depending on weather conditions, while the magnitude of a tectonic plate movement can change over time as more data is collected. It is important for scientists to continuously monitor and update intensity and magnitude data to accurately understand and predict natural phenomena.