Integration with branch cuts and singular points

In summary, the integral \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{2a}\frac{a^{1/\alpha}}{\sin(\pi/a)} \left(1-\cos(\pi/\alpha)\right)where a>0 and -1<1/\alpha<1.
elgen

Homework Statement

Prove that
[itex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{2a}\frac{a^{1/\alpha}}{\sin(\pi/a)}\left(1-\cos(\pi/\alpha)\right)[/itex] where [itex]a>0[/itex] and [itex] -1<1/\alpha<1[/itex]

Homework Equations

It is apparent that there are two first order singular points at x=a and x=-a. Since [itex]a^{1/\alpha}[/itex] is a multi-valued function, i select the branch cut to start at z=0 and extend along the negative imaginary axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

The contour is the semi-circle in the upper half plane. Applying the Cauchy residue theorem, I conclude that only the arc integrations around the two simple poles contribute to the improper integral. I arrive at
[itex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx =-\frac{1}{2} 2\pi i
\left[
Res(\frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2},x=-a)
+
Res(\frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2},x=a)
\right]
= -\frac{1}{2}2\pi i
\left[
-\frac{1}{2a} a^{1/\alpha} e^{j\pi/\alpha}
+
\frac{1}{2a}a^{1/\alpha}
\right]
[/itex]
The result on the RHS of the above expression is not a real number.

Any comment on the possible source of error is appreciated.

elgen

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some issues with that integral. For starters, just get it working for a simple case:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{z^{1/2}}{z^2-4}dz[/tex]

And it has simple poles on both the negative and positive real axis so the integral won't converge in the normal sense but will converge in the principal sense so we should write:

[tex]P.V. \int_0^{\infty} \frac{z^{1/2}}{z^2-4}dz[/tex]

Now, we can still integrate along the negative real axis but will have to indent around the pole at z=-2. Also, in these cases, it's a good idea to get the numeric answer first then check your results to it. So in Mathematica:

Code:
In[7]:=
NIntegrate[Sqrt[x]/(x^2 - 4), {x, 0, 2, Infinity}, 
  Method -> "PrincipalValue"]

Out[7]=

Ok then, does it even agree with that expression you gave above?. Can you set up the integrals to compute it symbolically now?

Edit: Just noticed maybe that's what you were implying above. What do those integrals look like then?

Last edited:
Thank you for the pointer. I found out that I did not express the improper integral correctly.

I took
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx = 2 \int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx[/itex]
which is not correct. The correct way is that
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx =
\int_{-\infty}^{0} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx +
\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx
=
\lim_{R\to\infty}\int_0^R \frac{r^{1/\alpha} e^{j\theta/\alpha}}{r^2 e^{j2\theta}-a^2} dr|_{\theta=\pi}
+
\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx
= (1+e^{j\pi/\alpha})\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{x^{1/\alpha}}{x^2-a^2} dx
[/itex]

Then everything falls off naturally.

Related to Integration with branch cuts and singular points

1. What is integration with branch cuts and singular points?

Integration with branch cuts and singular points is a mathematical concept that deals with the integration of complex functions that have branch cuts and singular points. These are points where the function is not well-defined or continuous, and can cause problems in the integration process.

2. Why is integration with branch cuts and singular points important?

Integration with branch cuts and singular points is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved using traditional integration methods. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex functions and their properties.

3. How do you identify branch cuts and singular points in a complex function?

Branch cuts and singular points can be identified by looking at the behavior of the function at certain points. A branch cut is a line or curve on the complex plane where the function is not well-defined, while a singular point is a point where the function is not continuous.

4. What methods can be used to integrate functions with branch cuts and singular points?

There are several methods that can be used to integrate functions with branch cuts and singular points, such as contour integration, Cauchy's residue theorem, and the method of steepest descent. These methods involve manipulating the function and choosing appropriate integration paths to avoid the branch cuts and singular points.

5. What are some applications of integration with branch cuts and singular points?

Integration with branch cuts and singular points has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It is used to solve problems in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and many other areas where complex functions are involved. It is also essential in the development of new mathematical techniques and theories.