Integration using residue theorem (part 2)

In summary, the integral to evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{(x^2+4)^2}## can be evaluated by considering ##\oint_c\frac{dz}{(z^2 + 4)^2}##, where C consists of the real axis [-R, R] with R > 2, and the upper half of Γ: |z| = R (all with counterclockwise orientation). The singularites are at z=2i and 2i, and R>2 so that the singularity lies in the semicircle. The residue theorem can be applied to find the value of the integral.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I need some explanation here. I got the solution but I don't understand something.

Question:
Find the integral using Residue Theorem.

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{(x^2+4)^2}$$

Here is the first part of the solution that I don't understand:

To evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{(x^2+4)^2}##, consider ##\oint_c\frac{dz}{(z^2 + 4)^2}##,
where C consists of the real axis [-R, R] with R > 2, and the upper half of Γ: |z| = R (all with counterclockwise orientation).

My question: Why is R>2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are the singularities of your integrand? Where are the residues relevant for the integral? Why are you allowed to close the contour with the semi circle (and in which limit)?

vanhees71 said:
Where are the singularities of your integrand? Where are the residues relevant for the integral? Why are you allowed to close the contour with the semi circle (and in which limit)?

The singularites are at z=2i and 2i. I think R>2 so that the singularity lies in the semicircle so that residue theorem can be applied. But I don't know why it is allowed to to close the contour with the semi circle. I don't understand why this only involves the upper part of the circle.

Just draw the integration path in the complex [itex]z[/itex] plane. The original integral was along the [itex]x[/itex] axis. Now argue, why you are allowed to add the semi-circle in the upper half-plane when taking [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex], i.e., why do you get the correct value for the original integral!

vanhees71 said:
Just draw the integration path in the complex [itex]z[/itex] plane. The original integral was along the [itex]x[/itex] axis. Now argue, why you are allowed to add the semi-circle in the upper half-plane when taking [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex], i.e., why do you get the correct value for the original integral!

I am not sure but at some point in the calculation, we're going to let ##R \to \infty## to find the value of ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{(x^2 + 4)^2}##. As ##R## increases without bound, ##C## will contain the singularity of ##f## at ##z = 2i##. So that's why we need to choose a R large enough. Why the semicircle in the upper half-plane? I guess because R is going to positive infinity and f(x) is a real number so only the real axis is actually needed. I'm not sure, though. Why do we get the same value as the original integral is because of the residue theorem itself, I guess, but I can't explain why.

Integration by summing the residues inside the path applies only to closed paths. That's the reason you need the semicircle from (R, 0) back to (-R, 0). You could have used other path- say, the line from (R, 0) to (0, R), then to (-R, 0) or the lines from (R, 0) to (R, R) then to (-R, R) then to (-R, 0) but they would be much harder to integrate. If you had used the semicircle in the lower half plane, you would get exactly the same answer.

Ok, write down the integral for the semi circle explicitly and then let [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex]!

Related to Integration using residue theorem (part 2)

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along closed curves. It states that the integral of a function around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities within the curve.

2. How is the residue theorem applied in integration?

The residue theorem is applied in integration by first identifying the singularities (poles) of the function within the closed curve, then calculating the residues at these points. The integral is then evaluated by summing the residues and multiplying by 2πi.

3. What are the advantages of using the residue theorem in integration?

The residue theorem allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a more efficient way to solve certain integrals, as it only requires the calculation of residues at singularities rather than evaluating the entire function along the curve.

4. Can the residue theorem be used for all types of integrals?

No, the residue theorem is only applicable to integrals along closed curves in the complex plane. It cannot be used for integrals along open curves or in real analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the residue theorem in integration?

One limitation of the residue theorem is that it only applies to functions that are analytic (have a derivative at every point) within the closed curve. It also does not work for functions with essential singularities, as these do not have residues. Additionally, the residue theorem may not be the most efficient method for evaluating certain integrals, as it may require complex calculations to find the residues.