Integration using natural logs, help (beginning of my calc 2 class)

In summary, the instructor gave the student an answer to a problem that he or she could not find a solution for. The student tried a variety of methods, none of which led to the answer. The instructor provided a hint that the student could use "u substitution."
Vagabond7

Homework Statement

Ok, so I have the problem, and I have the answer, but I don't know how they arrived at the answer. I'll show you the problem, and what I tried and maybe somebody can point out where I am going wrong, or some hints to put me on the right path.

(2x-1)/(x+1) being integrated on ∫ 0 to 6

this lesson is supposed to be demonstrating how to integrate using natural log.

The answer I was given was

12-3 ln 7

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a variety of things, none of which led me to the given solution. I tried breaking it up into (2x)/(x+1)-(1)/(x+1) and then integrating each piece (which I'm not sure is a "legal" move) getting x^2 ln (x+1)-x ln (x+1), or trying it as x^2-x ln (x+1) neither of which gets me to the final answer.

Now there was a hint to use "U substitution" but I had in the past been told that I can only do "u substitution" if the derivative is found elsewhere in the function or the derivative is off by a constant factor. the derivative of neither expression is the other off by a constant factor (they would both be off by a variable x), so I'm not sure how to do a "u substitution" in that case. Halp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vagabond7 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, so I have the problem, and I have the answer, but I don't know how they arrived at the answer. I'll show you the problem, and what I tried and maybe somebody can point out where I am going wrong, or some hints to put me on the right path.

(2x-1)/(x+1) being integrated on ∫ 0 to 6

this lesson is supposed to be demonstrating how to integrate using natural log.

The answer I was given was

12-3 ln 7

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a variety of things, none of which led me to the given solution. I tried breaking it up into (2x)/(x+1)-(1)/(x+1) and then integrating each piece (which I'm not sure is a "legal" move) getting x^2 ln (x+1)-x ln (x+1), or trying it as x^2-x ln (x+1) neither of which gets me to the final answer.

Now there was a hint to use "U substitution" but I had in the past been told that I can only do "u substitution" if the derivative is found elsewhere in the function or the derivative is off by a constant factor. the derivative of neither expression is the other off by a constant factor (they would both be off by a variable x), so I'm not sure how to do a "u substitution" in that case. Halp?

Put u=(x+1). Then du=dx and x=(u-1). Substitute that into 2x-1 to get the numerator in terms of u.

$$\int_0^6 \! \frac{2x-1}{x+1}\, \mathrm{dx}=\int_0^6 \! \frac{2(x+1)-3}{x+1}\, \mathrm{dx}=\int_0^6 \! \left(2-3\frac{1}{x+1} \right)\, \mathrm{dx}$$

Oh, I forgot to thank you guys. That totally cleared up that problem and helped a lot with methods for a couple of other ones. Thanks gentlemen!

Related to Integration using natural logs, help (beginning of my calc 2 class)

What is integration using natural logs?

Integration using natural logs, also known as logarithmic integration, is a method of solving integrals that involve natural logarithmic functions. It is used to find the area under a curve or the antiderivative of a function.

What is the general formula for integration using natural logs?

The general formula for integration using natural logs is ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How is integration using natural logs different from other integration methods?

Integration using natural logs is different from other methods because it involves using the properties of logarithms to simplify the integral. This method is particularly useful for integrals with logarithmic functions in the integrand.

What are some tips for solving integrals using natural logs?

Some tips for solving integrals using natural logs include: identifying the appropriate substitution, using the properties of logarithms to simplify the integral, and carefully applying the chain rule when necessary.

Can integration using natural logs be used for any type of function?

No, integration using natural logs is only applicable to integrals that involve natural logarithmic functions. It cannot be used for other types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.