Integration Question: Differentiating a definite integral

In summary, the Leibniz formula states that the integral of a function over a closed interval is the sum of the integrals of the individual functions over the intervals contained in the interval.
ISITIEIW
So the question is…Evaluate the following…
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(\int _1^{x^2} \cos(t^2) \, dt \right)\)

I thought i could use the FTC on this because it states…
\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_0^x f(t)\, dt \right)=f(x)\)

but i can't correct? because in my question it starts at 1…is there some way to apply FTC to my problem or is there another general formula for this kind of problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Integration Question

Since the lower bound is still a constant, it doesn't change the method you use to evaluate this. It could be at 0,1,2 or any constant and still get the same result. You're going to integrate and get a constant and then take the derivative of that constant, so you end up with 0 regardless.

Here you'll need to be careful to use the chain rule when applying the FTOC. What progress have you made so far? :)

Re: Integration Question

ISITIEIW said:
So the question is…Evaluate the following…
d/dx(integration of 1 to x^2 of cos(t^2)dt)

I thought i could use the FTC on this because it states…
d/dx(integration of 0 to x of f(t)dt)

but i can't correct? because in my question it starts at 1…is there some way to apply FTC to my problem or is there another general formula for this kind of problem

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^2}\cos\left(t^2 \right)\,dt\)

Now, the anti-derivative form of the FTOC tells us:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{g(x)}^{h(x)}f(t)\,dt=\frac{d}{dx}\left(F(h(x))-F(g(x)) \right)\)

On the right, applying the chain rule, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{g(x)}^{h(x)}f(t)\,dt=F'(h(x))h'(x)-F'(g(x))g'(x)\)

Since \(\displaystyle F'(x)=f(x)\), we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{g(x)}^{h(x)}f(t)\,dt=f(h(x))h'(x)-f(g(x))g'(x)\)

Applying this to the given problem, there results:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^2}\cos\left(t^2 \right)\,dt=\cos\left(\left(x^2 \right)^2 \right)(2x)-\cos\left(\left(1 \right)^2 \right)(0)\)

Simplifying, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_1^{x^2}\cos\left(t^2 \right)\,dt=2x\cos\left(x^4\right)\)

ISITIEIW said:

Let us evaluate \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_a^x f(t)\, dt \right)\) where \(\displaystyle 0<a<x\)

Then since \(\displaystyle \int_0^x f(t)\, dt =\int_0^a f(t)\, dt+ \int_a^x f(t)\, dt \)

\(\displaystyle \int_a^x f(t)\, dt=-\int_0^a f(t)\, dt+\int_0^x f(t)\, dt \)

If we differentiate then since the first integral is independent of $x$ we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_a^x f(t)\, dt \right)=\frac{d}{dx} \left(\int_0^x f(t)\, dt \right)=f(x)\)

The "Leibniz formula", a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus, says
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}f(x, \beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}f(x, \alpha(x))+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dt[/tex]

Related to Integration Question: Differentiating a definite integral

1. What is the purpose of differentiating a definite integral?

Differentiating a definite integral allows us to find the rate of change or slope of a function that is represented by the integral. This can be useful in applications such as physics, where the slope of a position vs. time graph represents the velocity of an object.

2. What is the difference between differentiating a definite integral and integrating a derivative?

Differentiating a definite integral involves finding the derivative of a function that is represented by an integral. On the other hand, integrating a derivative involves finding the original function that was differentiated.

3. How do you differentiate a definite integral?

To differentiate a definite integral, we can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of a definite integral is the original function evaluated at the upper limit of integration. We can also apply the rules of differentiation, such as the Power Rule or Chain Rule, to the integrand before evaluating the integral.

4. Can you differentiate a definite integral with respect to a variable other than the integration variable?

Yes, we can differentiate a definite integral with respect to any variable as long as it appears in both the integrand and the limits of integration. This is known as the Leibniz integral rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiating a definite integral?

Differentiating a definite integral can be used to solve problems in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to find the velocity of a moving object, the rate of change of a population, or the slope of a demand curve.