Integration of a First order for physical application

In summary, the conversation is about finding the analytic solution to a mathematical equation. The RHS is independent of x and can be integrated directly, resulting in a hypergeometric function. The equation can be simplified to a summation and integrated term by term using the binomial theorem. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the helpful answers.
crevoise
Hello everyone.

I wish to get the solution to the following:

x'(t) = [A*exp(B*t)-C]^(m)

I can get the plotted solution by Matlab, but I wish to find the analytic solution by myself.
Does anyone has some hints to help me in this?

Thanks a lot for your help

/Crevoise

Physics news on Phys.org
The RHS is independent of $x$. You can integrate both sides directly, although it's not a pretty integral. You've got yourself a hypergeometric function in there.

Ackbach said:
The RHS is independent of $x$. You can integrate both sides directly, although it's not a pretty integral. You've got yourself a hypergeometric function in there.

With simple steps You obtain...

$\displaystyle f(t)= (A\ e^{B\ t}-C)^{m}= \{-C\ (1-\frac{A}{C}\ e^{B\ t})\}^{m}= (-1)^{m}\ C^{m}\ \sum_{n=0}^{m} (-1)^{n}\ \binom{m}{n}\ (\frac{A}{C})^{n}\ e^{n\ B\ t}$ (1)

... and (1) can be integrated 'term by term'...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your two answers, really helpful!
I should have thought about the binomial theorem...
Thanks again

Hello Crevoise,

The integration of a first-order equation is a fundamental process in physical applications. In order to find the analytic solution to the equation x'(t) = [A*exp(B*t)-C]^(m), there are a few steps you can follow.

First, you can start by separating the variables on both sides of the equation. This means putting all the terms with x on one side and all the terms with t on the other side. In this case, you will have x'(t) = [A*exp(B*t)-C]^(m) on one side and dx on the other side.

Next, you can integrate both sides of the equation. This will give you an equation in the form of x(t) = f(t) + C, where C is the constant of integration. In order to find the value of C, you can use the initial condition given in the problem.

To solve the integral on the left side, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. For the integral on the right side, you can use the power rule or the substitution method.

Once you have solved the integral, you will have the analytic solution for x(t). You can then use this solution to plot the graph or use it in further calculations.

I hope this helps. Good luck with finding the analytic solution!

Related to Integration of a First order for physical application

1. What is the purpose of integrating a first order for physical application?

The purpose of integrating a first order for physical application is to solve differential equations that describe physical phenomena. It allows us to model and understand the behavior of real-world systems.

2. What are some common physical applications that require integration of a first order?

Some common physical applications that require integration of a first order include motion of particles, population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you perform integration of a first order?

To perform integration of a first order, you first need to identify the differential equation that describes the physical phenomenon. Then, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration by parts to solve the equation and obtain the integrated function.

4. What are the limitations of using integration of a first order in physical applications?

One limitation is that not all physical phenomena can be modeled accurately using first order differential equations. Some systems may require higher order differential equations or more complex mathematical models. Additionally, integration may not always yield exact solutions and may require approximation methods.

5. How important is understanding integration of a first order for a scientist?

Understanding integration of a first order is crucial for scientists as it is a fundamental tool for solving differential equations and modeling physical systems. It allows scientists to make predictions, analyze data, and gain insights into the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.