Integration Help - Which Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating the function \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} with respect to x. One person suggests using a substitution method while another suggests using integration by parts. The conversation ends with a discussion about the correct substitution method to use.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm having some trouble identifying the correct method to approach a problem. I don't have any working to show, so i'll explain why I think the methods I've considered are not correct.

Homework Statement

Integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex] the following functions.

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the method of changing the variable is not suitable here because I can't see a link between the derivative of the denominator and the numerator.

Similarly I don't think it is possible to use the method that identifies the numerator as the derivative of the denominator allowing you to say the integral is equal to ln|f(x)| + c

I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

Thank you,

BOAS

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the substitution u=3-x.

ehild

ehild said:
Use the substitution u=3-x.

ehild

I'm struggling to make this work.

Let [itex] u \equiv (3 - x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = -1[/itex]

[itex] ... du \equiv ... -1dx[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx = -x \int \frac{du}{u^{7}}[/itex]

(that seems wrong to me, I don't think we've ever been told it's ok to bring an x outside the integral sign)

I get;

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx = \frac{x}{6(3-x)^6} + c[/itex]

You can't just pull out the x like you did. You have to replace the x in the numerator with x=3-u and leave it under the integral sign.

BOAS said:
I'm struggling to make this work.

Let [itex] u \equiv (3 - x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx} = -1[/itex]

[itex] ... du \equiv ... -1dx[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{x}{(3-x)^{7}} dx = -x \int \frac{du}{u^{7}}[/itex]

The item in red is wrong . You need to express 'x' present in the Nr also in terms of 'u' .After the substitution ,you should have ##\int \frac{u-3}{u^7} du##

BOAS said:
Hello,

i'm having some trouble identifying the correct method to approach a problem. I don't have any working to show, so i'll explain why I think the methods I've considered are not correct.

Homework Statement

Integrate with respect to [itex]x[/itex] the following functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the method of changing the variable is not suitable here because I can't see a link between the derivative of the denominator and the numerator.

Similarly I don't think it is possible to use the method that identifies the numerator as the derivative of the denominator allowing you to say the integral is equal to ln|f(x)| + c

I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

Thank you,

BOAS

Others have suggested a change of variables, but if you do straight integration by parts you can bypass that: just set ##u = x, \: dv = dx/(3-x)^7 = (3-x)^{-7} \, dx##.

Think again about your substitution: if [itex] u = 3 -x [/itex] then [itex] x = 3 - u [/itex]. How will that help your integrand

Related to Integration Help - Which Method?

1. What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Other methods include trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and numerical integration.

2. How do I decide which method to use?

The method you choose depends on the type of function you are integrating. For example, if the function contains a product of two functions, integration by parts is typically used. If the function contains a rational expression, partial fractions may be used.

3. What is the substitution method?

The substitution method, also known as the u-substitution method, involves substituting a variable in the integral with another variable to simplify the expression. This method is useful for integrating functions that contain a composite function, such as the composition of a trigonometric function and another function.

4. How does integration by parts work?

Integration by parts is based on the product rule of differentiation. It involves breaking down an integral into two parts and applying the product rule in reverse to one part, while integrating the other part. This method is useful for integrating functions that contain a product of two functions.

5. Can I use a calculator for integration?

While some calculators have built-in integration functions, it is important to remember that these methods are not always accurate. They may also not work for more complex functions. It is best to understand the concepts and techniques of integration and use a calculator only as a tool to check your work.