Integration Help: Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the calculator is giving you two different answers because the first one uses $\ln{ \left| 3u + 2 \right| }$ while the second one uses $\ln{(2)}+ \ln{ \left| 3u + 2 \right| }$.
ineedhelpnow
please help! this homework assignment is due in like 3 hours and i have to get it done.

$$\int \frac{1 \, dx}{(x^2+8x+17)^{2}}$$

$$\int_{-1/ \sqrt{3}}^{1/ \sqrt{3}} \frac{e^{arctan {y}} \, dy}{(1+y^2)}$$

i need to see all the steps.

do i use partial fractions for the first one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this assignment for a grade?

Yeah. It was already due tho

ineedhelpnow said:
Yeah. It was already due tho

The reason Ackbach asked if these problems are part of a graded assignment is that it is against our policy to knowingly help with problems that contribute to a student's final grade, in the interest of academic honesty.

But, since the deadline has passed, let's look at these problems so you can solve them for your own knowledge.

For the first problem, I suggest completing the square on the quadratic being squared in the denominator of the integrand, and then making an appropriate trigonometric substitution. What form do you get?

ineedhelpnow said:
please help! this homework assignment is due in like 3 hours and i have to get it done.

$$\int \frac{1 \, dx}{(x^2+8x+17)^{2}}$$

$$\int_{-1/ \sqrt{3}}^{1/ \sqrt{3}} \frac{e^{arctan {y}} \, dy}{(1+y^2)}$$

do i use partial fractions for the first one?

In the second, you should know that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left[ \arctan{(x)} \right] = \frac{1}{1 + x^2} \end{align*}$, so a substitution of the form $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \arctan{(y)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{1 + y^2} \, \mathrm{d}y \end{align*}$ is appropriate. Also note that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u \left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right) = -\frac{\pi}{6} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right) = \frac{\pi}{6} \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}}{\frac{\mathrm{e}^{\arctan{(y)}}}{1 + y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y} = \int_{-\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}{\mathrm{e}^u\,\mathrm{d}u} \end{align*}$

The rest should be easy...

ineedhelpnow said:

$$\int \frac{dx}{(x^2+8x+17)^{2}}$$

do i use partial fractions?...

The integral isn't trivial and the best way is to learn a general way to solve integrals of the type...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{(a + b\ x + c\ x^{2})^{n}}\ (1)$

If we write $\displaystyle R= a + b\ x + c\ x^{2}$ and $\displaystyle \Delta = 4\ a\ c - b^{2}$, integrating by parts we arrive at the useful formula...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{R^{n+1}} = \frac{b + 2\ c\ x}{n\ \Delta\ R^{n}} + \frac{(4\ n -2)\ c}{n\ \Delta}\ \int \frac{d x}{R^{n}},\ n>0 \ (2)$

... and then for n=1 is...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{R} = \frac{-2}{\sqrt{- \Delta}}\ \tanh^{-1} \frac{b + 2\ c\ x}{\sqrt{-\Delta}}\ \text{if}\ \Delta<0$

$\displaystyle = - \frac{2}{b + 2\ c\ x}\ \text{if}\ \Delta=0$

$\displaystyle = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\Delta}}\ \tan^{-1} \frac{b + 2\ c\ x}{\sqrt{\Delta}}\ \text{if}\ \Delta>0\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

isnt $\int \ \frac{4}{6u+4}du=\frac{2}{3}\ln\left({6u+4}\right)$

my calculator keeps giving me $\int \ \frac{4}{6u+4}du=\frac{2}{3}\ln\left({3u+2}\right)$

ineedhelpnow said:
isnt $\int \ \frac{4}{6u+4}du=\frac{2}{3}\ln\left({6u+4}\right)$

my calculator keeps giving me $\int \ \frac{4}{6u+4}du=\frac{2}{3}\ln\left({3u+2}\right)$

Well actually $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{4}{6u+4}\,\mathrm{d}u} = \frac{2}{3} \ln{ \left| 6u + 4 \right| } + C \end{align*}$.

Now notice that

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left| 6u + 4 \right| } &= \ln{ \left( 2 \left| 3u + 2 \right| \right) } \\ &= \ln{(2)}+ \ln{ \left| 3u + 2 \right| } \end{align*}$

So the two answers only vary by a constant, and since the integration constant is arbitrary anyway, that means that the two answers are equivalent AS LONG AS YOU WRITE + C AT THE END!

Last edited:

Related to Integration Help: Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included

What does "Integration Help: Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included" mean?

This phrase refers to a service or tool that helps individuals solve integration problems in a specified time frame of three hours, and provides step-by-step instructions to do so.

What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the value of the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the benefit of using a "Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included" integration help?

The benefit of using this type of integration help is that it provides a time-efficient and structured approach to solving integration problems. It can also help individuals understand the steps involved in the process and improve their problem-solving skills.

Do I need any prior knowledge to use "Integration Help: Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included"?

Some basic knowledge of calculus and integration concepts is recommended to effectively use this type of integration help. However, the step-by-step instructions can also help beginners understand the process.

Are there any limitations to using "Integration Help: Solve in 3 Hours, Steps Included"?

While this type of integration help can be useful, it may not be able to solve all types of integration problems. It is important to understand the limitations and seek additional help if needed.