Integration - Can't find my mistake

In summary, the first integration problem is incorrect because the integral of x/(1+x^2) is not equal to x+1/x. The correct solution is xarctan(1/x) + ln|1/x| + 0.5x^2 + C. The second integration problem is incorrect because the integral expression is corrupted. The correct solution is I = \int (\frac {r^3}{4+r^2})^{0.5} dr, which can be solved by substituting u = 4 + r^2 and using the chain rule to solve for du. The final solution is I = \frac {1}{3}(4+r^2)^{3/2} -
MathewsMD
##\int arctan(\frac {1}{x})dx = I## when ##u = arctan(\frac {1}{x}), du = -\frac {1}{1+x^2} dx, dv = dx, v = x## and I got ##du## by chain rule since ##\frac {1}{1 + \frac {1}{x^2}} (-\frac {1}{x^2})## simplifies to ##-\frac {1}{1+x^2} dx## right?

##I = xarctan(\frac {1}{x}) + \int \frac {x}{1+x^2}dx##
##I = xarctan(\frac {1}{x}) + \int \frac {1}{x}dx + \int xdx##
##I = xarctan(\frac {1}{x}) + ln lxl + 0.5x^2 + C ##

This is not the correct answer, though, and I can't seem to find my exact error.

Any help would be great!

P.S. I have seen the identities to make arctan(1/x) = arctan(x) and using substation earlier, but am trying to use this method.

Second integration problem:

##I = \int \frac {r^3}{4+r^2}^0.5 dr## and if ##4 +r^2 = u## or ##r^2 = u - 4## then ##dr = \frac {1}{2r} du## so
##I = 0.5 \int \frac {u-4}{u}^0.5 du = 0.5 [\int u^0.5 - 4\int {1}{u}]##
##I = \frac {1}{3} u^{3/2}- 8u^{1/2}##

This is also wrong but I'm not quite sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
##\int arctan(\frac {1}{x})dx = I## when ##u = arctan(\frac {1}{x}), du = -\frac {1}{1+x^2} dx, dv = dx, v = x## and I got ##du## by chain rule since ##\frac {1}{1 + \frac {1}{x^2}} (-\frac {1}{x^2})## simplifies to ##-\frac {1}{1+x^2} dx## right?

##I = xarctan(\frac {1}{x}) + \int \frac {x}{1+x^2}dx##
##I = xarctan(\frac {1}{x}) + \int \frac {1}{x}dx + \int xdx##

##\frac x {1+x^2} \ne x + \frac 1 x##.

LCKurtz said:
General case: ##\frac {d}{dy} arctan(y) = \frac {1}{1 +y^2}## right?
So replacing y with 1/x
##= \frac {1}{1 + (1/x)^2}##
##= \frac {1}{\frac {x^2 + 1}{x^2}}##
##= \frac {x^2}{1+x^2}## [1]

Then applying chain rule to ##\frac {1}{x}##
##\frac{d}{dx}\frac {1}{x} = -\frac {1}{x^2}## [2]

So I multiply [1] by [2] to get

## -\frac {1}{1 + x^2}##

Oh, never mind, just realized you stated something completely different...

LCKurtz said:

Just a question: If this was a definite integral and did not included 0 between the upper and lower limits, would it be allowed or still no? Since you have to find the general antiderivative either way, I guess it doesn't make sense...

Just wondering, what exactly would be the next step to take here? I seem to have made the same mistake in both questions.

MathewsMD said:
Just wondering, what exactly would be the next step to take here? I seem to have made the same mistake in both questions.

You had$$
x\arctan(\frac 1 x) +\int\frac x {x^2+1}~dx$$Do a ##u## substitution on the second integral.

mathewsmd said:
second integration problem:

##i = \int \frac {r^3}{4+r^2}^0.5 dr## and if ##4 +r^2 = u## or ##r^2 = u - 4## then ##dr = \frac {1}{2r} du## so
##i = 0.5 \int \frac {u-4}{u}^0.5 du = 0.5 [\int u^0.5 - 4\int {1}{u}]##
##i = \frac {1}{3} u^{3/2}- 8u^{1/2}##

this is also wrong but I'm not quite sure why.

Your integral expression appears corrupted.

Are you perhaps trying to find

I = [itex]\int (\frac {r^3}{4+r^2})^{0.5} dr[/itex]

SteamKing said:
Your integral expression appears corrupted.

Are you perhaps trying to find

I = [itex]\int (\frac {r^3}{4+r^2})^{0.5} dr[/itex]

Sorry, yes. I was in a hurry and forgot to fully check my script. My problem has been solved by the above answer. Thank you for all the help!

Related to Integration - Can't find my mistake

1. What are the common mistakes when integrating?

Some common mistakes when integrating include missing or incorrect input variables, using the wrong integration method, incorrect limits of integration, forgetting to apply a chain rule or substitution, and arithmetic or algebraic errors.

2. Why is it important to find and correct mistakes in integration?

Finding and correcting mistakes in integration is important because even small errors can greatly affect the accuracy of the final result. Integration is often used in scientific calculations and any mistakes can lead to incorrect conclusions or predictions.

3. How can I check my work for mistakes in integration?

The best way to check your work for mistakes in integration is to work through the problem step by step and double check each step and calculation. You can also use online calculators or software to verify your results and identify any errors.

4. What should I do if I can't find my mistake in integration?

If you are unable to find your mistake in integration, it may be helpful to ask a colleague or a tutor for assistance. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can identify an error that you may have overlooked. You can also try working through the problem again or using a different integration method.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes in integration?

To prevent making mistakes in integration, it is important to understand the concepts and methods involved. Practice and double checking your work can also help reduce the chances of making mistakes. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and use clear and organized notation.