Integration by u substitution for inverse trig formulas

So, yes...\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(\frac{x}{a})^{2}+1} = \frac{1}{a^2}\frac{1}{a^2 +\frac{x^2}{a^2}}=\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{1}{a^
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

You know the U substitution proofs for inverse trig functions that go like this:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^{2}+x^{2}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\int\frac{a\frac{1}{a}}{a(1+\frac{x^2}{a^2})}dx[/itex]

let u = x/a

du= dx/a

[itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(x/a)+c[/itex]I have searched google and can't find any of these proofs for the other trigonometric functions like sin and tan. Where can I find step by steps of these particular integration generalizations?

Do these U substitution methods for inverse trig functions have some sort of specific name?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hallsofivy, really appreciate it. However, of the links you kindly provided, there is only one instance of a formula of which I'm describing. One for arcsin. But there seems to be no resource on the web that displays all or even 2 or 3 of these particular formulas. I've searched every combination of "inverse," "trigonometric," "integration," "subsititution," "formula(s)." I don't know how else to describe these specific formulas. Do you have any other keyword suggestions or links that provide on this integration topic?

LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

You know the U substitution proofs for inverse trig functions that go like this:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{a^{2}+x^{2}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{\not{a}\frac{1}{a}}{a(1+\frac{x^2}{a^2})}dx[/itex]
I have crossed out an extra letter a , which you had in the numerator.
let u = x/a

du= dx/a

[itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(x/a)+c[/itex]

I have searched google and can't find any of these proofs for the other trigonometric functions like sin and tan. Where can I find step by steps of these particular integration generalizations?

Do these U substitution methods for inverse trig functions have some sort of specific name?

I don't see how what you have is much of a proof of anything.

You can get this from taking the derivative of tan-1(x/a).
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)=\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(x/a)^2+1}[/itex]​

To do something similar with arcsin & arccos, go ahead and take the derivatives:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)[/itex]

SammyS said:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)=\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(x/a)^2+1}[/itex]​

To do something similar with arcsin & arccos, go ahead and take the derivatives:

I didn't mean proof, sorry about that. I guess I just meant formula. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

[itex]sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{x}{a}[/itex]

[itex]cos(y)y'= \frac{1}{a}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(y)}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})^{2})}[/itex]

Trig Identity: [itex]sin^{2}y+cos^{2}y=1[/itex]

cosy=[itex]\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\frac{1}{acos(y)}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]So when I do the derivative of arcsine, I get [itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]

However, the formula states:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}+C[/itex]

I seem to have gotten an "a" outside of the radical and a "1" inside the radical, while the formula shows nothing outside the radical and an "[itex]a^{2}[/itex] inside the radical. Where might I have gone off track to arrive at a final answer with misarranged variables?

EDIT:

I think I see it, would it just be a matter of distributing the "a" into the radical?

LearninDaMath said:

So when I do the derivative of arcsine, I get [itex]\frac{d}{dx}sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}=\frac{1}{a\sqrt{1-(\frac{x}{a})^{2}}}[/itex]

However, the formula states:

[itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}dx=sin^{-1}\frac{x}{a}+C[/itex]

I seem to have gotten an "a" outside of the radical and a "1" inside the radical, while the formula shows nothing outside the radical and an "[itex]a^{2}[/itex] inside the radical. Where might I have gone off track to arrive at a final answer with misarranged variables?

EDIT:

I think I see it, would it just be a matter of distributing the "a" into the radical?
Yes, they are equivalent.

Thanks SammyS,

SammyS said:

Also,

You show that the derivative of arctanx is:

But if I am interested in deriving the function [itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})[/itex] for this particular formula, does the extra fraction [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] that the function to be derived includes account for the final result of [itex]\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(\frac{x}{a})^{2}+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex]?

Last edited:
LearninDaMath said:
Thanks SammyS,
Also,

You show that the derivative of arctanx is:

But if I am interested in deriving the function [itex]\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})[/itex] for this particular formula, does the extra fraction [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] that the function to be derived includes account for the final result of [itex]\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{a}\frac{1}{(\frac{x}{a})^{2}+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex]?
The algebra says yes.

Related to Integration by u substitution for inverse trig formulas

What is the concept of integration by u substitution?

The concept of integration by u substitution involves using a new variable u to rewrite an integral in order to make it easier to solve. This technique is especially useful for integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions.

What are the steps for integration by u substitution?

The steps for integration by u substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the appropriate u-substitution. This involves choosing a new variable u that will replace a part of the original integral.
  2. Compute the differential du, which is the derivative of u with respect to the original variable.
  3. Substitute the new variable and differential into the original integral, using the computed du to replace any instances of the original variable.
  4. Simplify and solve the resulting integral in terms of u.
  5. Finally, substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

What are some common u-substitutions for inverse trigonometric functions?

Some common u-substitutions for inverse trigonometric functions include:

• For arcsin(x), use u = x and du = dx / sqrt(1-x^2).
  • For arccos(x), use u = x and du = -dx / sqrt(1-x^2).
  • For arctan(x), use u = x and du = dx / (1+x^2).

How do you know when to use integration by u substitution?

Integration by u substitution is most useful when dealing with integrals that involve inverse trigonometric functions, as these can be difficult to solve using other techniques. So if you encounter an integral involving inverse trigonometric functions, it may be a good idea to try u substitution.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by u substitution?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when using integration by u substitution:

• Forgetting to compute the differential du. This is a crucial step in the process.
  • Substituting back in the original variable too soon. Make sure to simplify and solve the integral in terms of u before substituting back in the original variable.
  • Choosing the wrong u-substitution. It may take some trial and error to find the most appropriate u-substitution for a given integral.