Integration by Parts: Solving \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{(x^2+1)^2}

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{(x^2+1)^2} by using u-substitution and integration by parts. Several strategies are suggested, including using u = x^2/(x^2+1)^2 and dv = x^2e^(x^2), but ultimately the correct choice is u = x^2e^(x^2) and dv = (x^2+1)^-1, leading to the final answer of \frac{x^3e^{2x}}{2(x^2+1)} - \int \frac{x^2e^{x^2}(3+2x^2)}
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

[tex] \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{(x^2+1)^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this problem is hard, so I thought to use u = x3ex2
so du = x2ex2(3+2x2) dx
and dv = (x2+1)-2 then v = -2(x2+1)-1 Please check v though to make sure my algebra is right.

so then using the by parts formula:
[tex] \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{x^2+1} = \frac{x^3e^{2x}}{2(x^2+1)} - \int \frac{x^2e^{x^2}(3+2x^2)}{2(x^2 +1)} [/tex] But where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldl start with u = x2/(x2 + 1)2 and dv = xex2. No guarantee that this will get you anywhere, but a useful strategy is to make dv the most complicated expression that you can integrate.

Notice the fact that you have x^3 on the top. Try a u-sub with u = (1 + x^2). After that, use parts cleverly and you'll get your answer.

This is one of those cases where there are several plausible alternatives for picking the parts, but only one works. You just have to mess around. Hint: if you pick u=x^2*e^(x^2) then du=(2xe^(x^2)+2x^3e^(x^2))dx=2(1+x^2)*e^(x^2)*x*dx. Notice the (1+x^2) factor in du. You need that.

Zhalfirin88 said:
and dv = (x2+1)-2 then v = -2(x2+1)-1 Please check v though to make sure my algebra is right.

You don't get that v for your choice of dv. You probably meant

[tex]\frac{(x^2+1)^{-1}}{-1}[/tex]

but that's still wrong because you would need a 2x in the in the numerator of dv.

Related to Integration by Parts: Solving \int \frac{x^3e^{x^2}}{(x^2+1)^2}

1. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x.

2. How do you choose which function to assign as u and which as dv?

In general, it is best to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes simpler when integrated. In this case, u=x^3 and dv=e^x^2/(x^2+1)^2 would be a good choice.

3. Can integration by parts be used for any type of integral?

Integration by parts can be used for integrals that are in the form of ∫u dv, where u and v are functions of x. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving an integral.

4. What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify an integral by breaking it down into two simpler integrals. This can be useful when the original integral is difficult to solve using other methods.

5. How do you know when to stop using integration by parts?

You should stop using integration by parts when the integral becomes simpler or when you reach an integral that you can solve using other methods. In some cases, you may need to use integration by parts multiple times to fully simplify the integral.