Integration by Parts - Proving Equations for m and n > 1

In summary, you are calculating the integrals for J(m,n) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \left( J(m, n - 2) - J(m, n) \right) and J(m, n) = \frac{n - 1}{m + n} \left( J(m, n - 2) - J(m, n) \right).
Bazman
Hi,

[tex] J(m,n) = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m \theta \sin^n \theta d\theta [/tex]

First of all I had to evaluate the following ( I don't know what the correct answers are but here are my calculations:

[tex] J(0,0) = [\theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}=\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

[tex] J(0,1) = [-\cos \theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= 1 [/tex]

[tex] J(1,0) = [ \sin\theta]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= 1 [/tex]

[tex] J(1,1) = [\frac{-\cos 2\theta}{4}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] J(m,1) = [-\frac{\cos^{m+1} \theta}{m+1}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac{1}{m+1} [/tex]

[tex] J(1,n) = [\frac{\sin^{n+1} \theta}{n+1}]_0^{\frac{{\pi}{2}}}= \frac {1}{n+1} [/tex]

Next I am supposed to use integration by parts to prove that for m and n > 1

[tex] J(m,n) = \frac{m-1}{m+n} J(m-2,n) [/tex]

and

[tex] J(m,n) = \frac{n-1}{m+n} J(m,n-2) [/tex]

When I carried out integration by parts I got the following:

taking

[tex] u = \sin^{n-1} \theta [/tex]
[tex] u' = (n-1) \sin^{n-2}\theta \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] v' = \cos^m \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] v = -\frac{cos^{m+1}\theta}{m+1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-\sin^{n-1} \theta \cos^{m+1}\theta}{m+1} + \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{n-1}{m+1} \sin^{n-2} \theta \cos^{m+2} \theta d\theta [/tex]

the first term on the RHS equates to zero but the 2nd term is not correct: the denominator and the power to which cos is raised is wrong but I'm not sure how to fix it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why, but your LaTeX part is a bit messy for me. :frown:
You are correct to the last part. So, you have shown that:
[tex]\int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ m \theta \sin ^ n \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {\fbox{m + 2}} \theta \sin ^ {\fbox{n - 2}} \theta d( \theta )[/tex]

Note that cos function on the RHS is to the power of m + 2, and you want to prove that:

[tex]\int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ m \theta \sin ^ n \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + n} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {\fbox{m}} \theta \sin ^ {\fbox{n - 2}} \theta d( \theta )[/tex].

So what you should do is to split cosm + 2(x) to cosm(x)cos2(x) = cosm(1 - sin2(x)), like this:
[tex]RHS = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta (1 - \sin ^ 2 \theta) \sin ^ {n - 2} \theta d( \theta ) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \left( \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta \sin ^ {n - 2} \theta d( \theta ) - \int_0 ^ \frac{\pi}{2} \cos ^ {m} \theta \sin ^ {n} \theta d( \theta ) \right)[/tex].

So we have:

[tex]J(m, n) = \frac{n - 1}{m + 1} \left( J(m, n - 2) - J(m, n) \right)[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

--------

The other can be done almost the same, except for the first step:
Instead of choosing
u = sinn - 1(x)
and dv = cosm(x) sin(x) dx, we choose:
u = cosm - 1(x)
and dv = sinn(x) cos(x) dx.

Can you complete the two problems? :smile:

Last edited:
Hey VietDao29!

Thanks for your help on this.

I assume that the rest of the answer rely's on my using the reduction formula for trigonometric integrals?

I've had a quick scoot on the web and there seems to be two main cases m+n odd or m+n even. Which uses two different formula (which does make me a little anxious as there is only one formula that we are trying to prove.)

Anyway I've included a link to the worksheet I am working from.

http://www.math.uAlberta.ca/~apotapov/MATH115/trinth.pdf

Is this the correct method to solve the problem?

Hi VietDao,

I managed to figure it out.

Your hint brought me a lot closer to the solution than I initially realized!

Thanks again :smile:

Related to Integration by Parts - Proving Equations for m and n > 1

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that involve a product of functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and involves breaking down a complex integral into two simpler integrals.

2. When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is useful when the integral involves a product of functions that cannot be easily integrated using other techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful when the integral involves a product of functions with one of them being easy to differentiate.

3. How do I use Integration by Parts?

To use Integration by Parts, you need to identify which function in the integral can be easily differentiated. This function is called the "u" function. The other function is called the "dv" function. Then, use the formula ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du to evaluate the integral.

4. What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, where u is the function that can be easily differentiated and dv is the function that can be easily integrated. This formula is derived from the product rule for differentiation.

5. How do I choose u and dv in Integration by Parts?

There is no specific rule for choosing u and dv in Integration by Parts. However, a common technique is to choose u as the function that becomes simpler after differentiation, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate after integration. It may require some trial and error to find the best choice of u and dv for a given integral.