Integration by parts homework problem

In summary, The conversation discusses the integration of a function involving exponential and sine terms. The first speaker mentions trying integration by parts, but the second speaker suggests using a different method and explains how to simplify the integral. The third speaker also suggests a similar approach and explains the need to only consider the imaginary part of the answer in order to obtain the desired result. The conversation ends with a question about why only the imaginary part needs to be considered, and the fourth speaker provides an explanation for this.
latentcorpse
How do I integrate the following:

[itex]\int_0^\infty r e^{-ar} \sin{(Kr)} dr[/itex]

i tried writing [itex] r e^{-ar} = -\frac{d}{da} e^{-ar}[/itex] and using integration by parts but i couldn't get anywhere. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Would i.b.p not work if you let dv = re^(-ar)dr? You would have to use another iteration of i.b.p... I'll check it out when I've got some paper in front of me, but give that a try.

The Chaz said:
Would i.b.p not work if you let dv = re^(-ar)dr? You would have to use another iteration of i.b.p... I'll check it out when I've got some paper in front of me, but give that a try.

but then we would have to use integration by parts to evaluate v from dv. So it would end up being a nested integration by parts within an integration by parts? that seems awfully complicated, no?

You can use integration by part, but it is easier to write

sin(K r) = Im[exp(i k r)]

Then you have the integral of

r exp(-b r)

wih b = a - i k

and you need to take the imaginary part of the answer.

And, as you already noted, you can compute the integral without the factor r in the integrand and differentiate w.r.t. b to bring a factor of r down.

Count Iblis said:
You can use integration by part, but it is easier to write

sin(K r) = Im[exp(i k r)]

Then you have the integral of

r exp(-b r)

wih b = a - i k

and you need to take the imaginary part of the answer.

And, as you already noted, you can compute the integral without the factor r in the integrand and differentiate w.r.t. b to bring a factor of r down.

why do i only need to consider the imaginary part of the answer?

latentcorpse said:
why do i only need to consider the imaginary part of the answer?

Because that will yield the sin(kr) factor in the integrand. Note that you do that at the very end after you have differentiated w.r.t. the constant in the exponential to bring down the factor r.

Related to Integration by parts homework problem

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using a specific formula to solve it.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when there is a product of two functions in the integrand, or when other methods such as substitution or partial fractions do not work. It can also be used to simplify complicated integrals.

3. How do I choose which function to integrate and which one to differentiate?

The general rule of thumb is to choose the function that is more complicated or harder to integrate as the one to differentiate. This will often lead to a simpler integral to solve.

4. What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral and du and dv are their respective differentials.

5. Are there any tips for solving integration by parts problems?

Some tips for solving integration by parts problems are to choose u and dv carefully, try differentiating multiple times if the integral is not simplified, and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the integral before applying the integration by parts formula.