Integration by Parts for Cosine Squared: Is My Approach Correct?

In summary, if you have u = cos^2x and v = x, then du = 1/2 (1+cos(2x)) and dv = dx. However, if you want to integrate by parts, you should use $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\sin{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}v = \cos{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \implies v = \sin{(x)} \end{
jamescv31
Greetings :)

Well I wanted to seek help if my solution is on the right path, given as follows:

1) \(\displaystyle \int cos ^2x dx \)

So my solution follows like this:

\(\displaystyle
u = cos^2x \)
\(\displaystyle du = 1/2 (1+cos(2x)) \)
\(\displaystyle v = x\)
\(\displaystyle dv = dx\)

but I've stuck when its in the \(\displaystyle u.v - \int v.du\)

\(\displaystyle cos^2 (x) - \int (x) (1+cos(2x)/2)\)

Is this a correct path?

Physics news on Phys.org
(Wave)It is known that :

$$\cos^2 x=\frac{1+ \cos{(2x)}}{2}$$

You can calculate easier the integral using the above equality.

$$\int \cos^2 x dx=\int \frac{1+ \cos{(2x)}}{2}dx =\int \frac{1}{2}dx+\int \frac{\cos(2x)}{2}dx= \frac{1}{2}x+ \frac{\sin(2x)}{4}+C$$

jamescv31 said:

\(\displaystyle
u = cos^2x \)
\(\displaystyle v = x\)
You have handled your u incorrectly.

If \(\displaystyle u = cos^2(x)\) then \(\displaystyle du = 2 \cdot cos(x) \cdot -sin(x)~dx\)

So your integration line reads:
\(\displaystyle \int u~dv = u \cdot v - \int v~du\)

\(\displaystyle \int cos^2(x)~dx = cos^2(x) \cdot x - \int x \cdot -2~sin(x)~cos(x)~dx\)

jamescv31 said:
Greetings :)

Well I wanted to seek help if my solution is on the right path, given as follows:

\(\displaystyle
u = cos^2x \)
\(\displaystyle v = x\)

but I've stuck when its in the \(\displaystyle u.v - \int v.du\)

\(\displaystyle cos^2 (x) - \int (x) (1+cos(2x)/2)\)

Is this a correct path?

If you really want to use integration by parts, you really should use $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(x)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = -\sin{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}v = \cos{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x \implies v = \sin{(x)} \end{align*}$ to get

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} - \int{ -\sin^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \int{\sin^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \int{ 1 - \cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \int{1\,\mathrm{d}x} - \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ 2\int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + x \\ \int{\cos^2{(x)}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{1}{2}\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + \frac{1}{2}x \end{align*}$

with an integration constant on the end of course...

As you can see, this was the long way about it though, using the double angle identity for cosine would have made this a much easier problem...

Related to Integration by Parts for Cosine Squared: Is My Approach Correct?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method of solving integrals that involve products of functions. It allows us to break down a complex integral into simpler parts, making it easier to solve.

2. When do we use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of functions, and there is no obvious substitution that can be made to simplify it. It is also useful when the integral involves inverse trigonometric functions.

3. How do we use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, we use the formula: ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, where u and v are functions of x and du and dv are their respective derivatives. We choose u and dv in a way that will simplify the integral, and then use the formula to solve for the integral.

4. What is the general rule for choosing u and dv in integration by parts?

The general rule for choosing u and dv is known as the "LIATE" rule. LIATE stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. When choosing u and dv, we want u to be the function that appears earlier in the LIATE order, as this will typically make the integral easier to solve.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include not properly choosing u and dv, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and making errors in the integration or differentiation steps. It is also important to check your final answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.