Integration by parts, changing vector to moment & divergence

In summary, Jackson discusses the concept of "integration by parts" in his 'classical electrodynamics', where he re-expresses a volume integral of a vector in terms of a moment like divergence. The author attempts to find a chain rule by expanding the gradient of a vector product, but is unable to justify the author's approach. After some further research, the author finds a hint in Griffiths and uses the divergence theorem to argue that the left hand side of the equation is zero for localized-enough currents.
Peeter
In Jackson's 'classical electrodynamics' he re-expresses a volume integral of a vector in terms of a moment like divergence:

[tex]\begin{align}\int \mathbf{J} d^3 x = - \int \mathbf{x} ( \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{J} ) d^3 x\end{align} [/tex]

He calls this change "integration by parts". If this is integration by parts, there must be some form of chain rule (where one of the terms is zero on the boundry), but I can't figure out what that chain rule would be. I initially thought that the expansion of

[tex]\begin{align}\boldsymbol{\nabla} (\mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{J})\end{align} [/tex]

might have the structure I was looking for (i.e. something like [itex]\mathbf{x} \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{J}+\mathbf{J} \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{x}[/itex]), however

[tex]\begin{align}\boldsymbol{\nabla} (\mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{J}) =\mathbf{x} \cdot \boldsymbol{\nabla} \mathbf{J}+\mathbf{J} \cdot \boldsymbol{\nabla} \mathbf{x}+ \mathbf{x} \times ( \boldsymbol{\nabla} \times \mathbf{J} )= \mathbf{J} + \sum_a x_a \boldsymbol{\nabla} J_a.\end{align} [/tex]

I tried a few other gradients of various vector products (including [itex]\boldsymbol{\nabla} \times ( \mathbf{x} \times \mathbf{J} )[/itex]), but wasn't able to figure out one that justifies what the author did with this integral.

I am probably missing something obvious (or at least something that is obvious to Jackson) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The divergence is the derivative with respect to the outward normal.
Make the standard substitution for integration by parts.
##u = J \quad v = x ##
##du = \nabla \cdot J \quad dv = 1 ##
What you have is ##\int u dv ## clearly this is ## Jx|_{boundary} - \int vdu ##.
You are correct about needing the boundary condition -- this is very common.

I'm not certain how to interpret the reply of @RUber, but I resolved this after finding a hint in Griffiths, which poses a problem of relating the volume integral of [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] to the dipole moment using by expanding

[tex]\int \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot ( x \mathbf{J} ) d^3 x.[/tex]

That expansion is

[tex]\int \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot ( x \mathbf{J} ) d^3 x= \int (\boldsymbol{\nabla} x \cdot \mathbf{J}) d^3 x+ \int x (\boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{J}) d^3 x.[/tex]

Doing the same for the other coordinates and summing gives

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^3 \mathbf{e}_i \int \boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot ( x_i \mathbf{J} ) d^3 x=\int \mathbf{J} d^3 x+ \int \mathbf{x} (\boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{J}) d^3 x.[/tex]

I think the boundary condition argument would be to transform the left hand side using the divergence theorem

[tex]\int \mathbf{J} d^3 x+ \int \mathbf{x} (\boldsymbol{\nabla} \cdot \mathbf{J}) d^3 x=\sum_{i = 1}^3 \mathbf{e}_i \int_{S} ( x_i \mathbf{J} ) \cdot \hat{\mathbf{n}} dS[/tex]

and then argue that this is zero for localized-enough currents by taking this surface to infinity, where [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is zero.

Likes GiuseppeR7

Related to Integration by parts, changing vector to moment & divergence

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of the form ∫u dv. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and allows us to break up a complex integral into simpler parts.

How is Integration by Parts used in Physics?

In physics, Integration by Parts is used to calculate the change in a quantity over a certain period of time. It is commonly used in problems involving velocity, acceleration, and force.

What is the process for Changing a Vector to a Moment?

Changing a vector to a moment involves finding the cross product between the vector and the position vector from a reference point. This results in a moment vector, which represents the rotation caused by the original vector.

How is the Divergence of a Vector Field Calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇). This operation is also known as the divergence operator and results in a scalar quantity.

What are some Applications of Divergence in Science and Engineering?

Divergence has many applications in science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to model the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric fields, and the distribution of temperature in a system.