Integration by Parts: Assigning u & dv with LIPATE Rule

In summary, I'm a bit confused as to what I should assign u and dv in this integration by parts:ln(1+x^2)dxvsdxI remember a general rule called the "LIPATE" rule... which is basically Logarithms, inverse trigs, poly, algebra, trig, then exponentials...Now... would I assign u = ln(1+x^2)? and dv = dx?That kind of defeats the purpose of integration by parts... doesn't it?I'm probably not assigning u and dv properly... so if anybody can lend me
zenity
Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to what I should assign u and dv in this integration by parts:

ln(1+x^2)dx

I remember a general rule called the "LIPATE" rule... which is basically Logarithms, inverse trigs, poly, algebra, trig, then exponentials...

Now... would I assign u = ln(1+x^2)? and dv = dx?

That kind of defeats the purpose of integration by parts... doesn't it?

I'm probably not assigning u and dv properly... so if anybody can lend me a hand, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
zenity said:
Now... would I assign u = ln(1+x^2)? and dv = dx?

Yes.

That kind of defeats the purpose of integration by parts... doesn't it?

No, it works like a charm. Try it and see.

Ok... so this is what happens after I work it out

u=ln(1+x)^2 du=2x/(x^2+1)

dv=dx v=x

ln(1+x^2)x - integral [ 2x^2/(1+x^2)

Using a calc, I found out that the integral works out to be x - arctan(x)

... but I don't know how to do it ... any pointers?

Your "new" integrand is an improper rational function. They should have beat in into your head during your precalc courses that improper rational functions should be decomposed into a polynomial plus a proper rational function, via long division.

Try that, and then see if it's not clear what to do.

I'll need a quick refresher on that... I don't remember exactly how to do that...
I'll take a look around on the net. In the meantime, I am 100% stuck on this question:

integral of x^7/(1+x^4)^(3/2)

I've tried assigning u=x^7 and dv="the bottom part"

unfortunately... I don't know where I'm headed.

I'm sorry for all these questions. I have a hard time trying to determine what I should assign to u and dv. Is there a good tutorial online or something that can help me in this area?

zenity said:
In the meantime, I am 100% stuck on this question:
integral of x^7/(1+x^4)^(3/2)

Don't get so caught up in integration by parts that you forget the other stuff you used to know. This can be done with a simple u-substitution. I'll let you figure out what u is supposed to be.

Thanks... but this section in the book insists that we use integration by parts in order to solve these questions... (Although using substitution as a secondary method would be acceptable I think).

I've solved the questions... but I'm now stuck on integration and trigonometric identities...

Integral of sec(x)^4 / tan(x)^2

I've tried using sec(x)^2 = tan(x)^2 + 1 and vice versa, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with that. If someone could possibly lend a few hinters! Thanks!

You can just change everything to sin(x) and cos(x), then go from there.
So:
[tex]\int \frac{\sec ^ 4 x}{\tan ^ 2 x} dx = \int \frac{\cos ^ 2 x}{\sin ^ 2 x \cos ^ 4 x}dx = \int \frac{1}{\sin ^ 2 x \cos ^ 2 x}dx[/tex]
There's sin(x) and cos(x) in the denominator, so you may want to change the numerator a bit so that it also has sin(x) and cos(x).
[tex]... = \int \frac{\cos ^ 2 x + \sin ^ 2 x}{\sin ^ 2 x \cos ^ 2 x}dx = ...[/tex]
Can you go from here?
--------------------
Or if you want to continue doing it your way, then you can change everything into tan(x).
So:
[tex]\int \frac{\sec ^ 4 x}{\tan ^ 2 x} dx = \int \frac{(1 + \tan ^ 2 x) ^ 2}{\tan ^ 2 x} dx = \int \frac{dx}{\tan ^ 2 x} + \int \tan ^ 2 x dx + \int 2 dx[/tex]
Now you can change tan(x) to sin(x) and cos(x): tan(x) = sin(x) / cos(x). And use sin2x + cos2x = 1 to solve the problem.
---------------
Anyway, it's always good that you start another thread for another problem, instead of using the old one...
Viet Dao,

Last edited:

Related to Integration by Parts: Assigning u & dv with LIPATE Rule

What is the LIPATE rule in integration by parts?

The LIPATE rule is a mnemonic device used to determine which function should be assigned as u and which function should be assigned as dv in integration by parts. LIPATE stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Polynomial, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The function closest to the beginning of this list is typically assigned as u.

Why do we use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used to evaluate integrals that cannot be solved using other common methods, such as substitution or partial fractions. It allows us to break down a complex integral into simpler, more manageable parts.

How do I choose which function to assign as u and dv?

The LIPATE rule is a helpful guide, but ultimately the choice of u and dv depends on the specific integral you are trying to solve. In general, it is often helpful to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated and dv as the function that becomes simpler when integrated.

What are the steps to using integration by parts?

The steps to using integration by parts are as follows:

1. Identify u and dv using the LIPATE rule or other techniques.
  2. Calculate du by differentiating u.
  3. Calculate v by integrating dv.
  4. Plug in the values of u, du, v, and dv into the integration by parts formula: ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu.
  5. Solve the resulting integral for the desired answer.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for using integration by parts?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts and tricks that can make using integration by parts easier. These include using tabular integration, choosing u based on its degree or complexity, and using the product rule in reverse to find du and dv. Practice and experience can also help in choosing the most efficient u and dv for a given integral.