Integration by partial fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an integral involving a fraction with a denominator raised to a fractional power. The person asking for help has already tried substitutions but ended up with complicated expressions. The expert suggests splitting the integral into two parts and using ordinary substitutions to solve them.
Geocentric

Homework Statement

I am stuck on this integral.
1) (a - bx)/(a^2 + b^2 - 2abx)^(3/2)
I tried some substitutions but end up with complicated expressions. How to decompose into partial fractions when the denominator is raised to fractional powers? Can anyone please help me out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Geocentric said:

Homework Statement

I am stuck on this integral.
1) (a - bx)/(a^2 + b^2 - 2abx)^(3/2)
I tried some substitutions but end up with complicated expressions. How to decompose into partial fractions when the denominator is raised to fractional powers? Can anyone please help me out?
There is no point to using partial fractions in this problem. I would split this into two integrals like so:
[tex]a \int \frac{dx}{(a^2 + b^2 - 2abx)^{3/2}} -~b~ \int \frac{x dx}{(a^2 + b^2 - 2abx)^{3/2}}[/tex]

The first integral can definitely be done with an ordinary substitution. I haven't worked through the second integral, but I think it can also be done with an ordinary substitution, maybe the same one.

Related to Integration by partial fractions

1. What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to simplify complex fractions into smaller, more manageable fractions. This method is used to solve integrals, which are expressions that involve the process of finding the area under a curve.

2. When is integration by partial fractions used?

Integration by partial fractions is used when we have a rational function, which is a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. By using this method, we can break down the rational function into smaller fractions that are easier to integrate.

3. How does integration by partial fractions work?

The first step in integration by partial fractions is to factor the denominator of the rational function into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we use the partial fraction decomposition technique to express the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with unknown coefficients. These coefficients can be solved for by equating the coefficients of the corresponding powers of x on both sides of the equation.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Proper partial fractions have a smaller degree in the numerator than in the denominator, while improper partial fractions have a larger degree in the numerator than in the denominator. The approach to solving these types of partial fractions may differ slightly, but the overall method remains the same.

5. Can integration by partial fractions be used for all types of integrals?

No, integration by partial fractions can only be used for rational functions. If the integral involves other types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions, other methods must be used to solve the integral.