Integration around circular arcs

In summary, we can prove that if f has a simple pole at z=c and C_r is any circular arc bounded by \theta_1 , \theta_2 and centered at c with radius r, then the limit of the integral over C_r of f(z) as r approaches 0 from the positive side is equal to i times the difference between \theta_2 and \theta_1, multiplied by the residue of f at z=c.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove the following

If \(\displaystyle f\) has a simple pole at \(\displaystyle z=c\) and \(\displaystyle C_r\) is any circular arc bounded by \(\displaystyle \theta_1 , \theta_2\) and centered at \(\displaystyle c \) with radius \(\displaystyle r\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{r \to 0^+} \int_{C_r} f(z) \, dz = i ( \theta_2 - \theta_1 ) \text{Res} (f;c)\)​

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi ZaidAlyafey,

I'm assuming we are taking \(\displaystyle f\) to be meromorphic on an open subset, say \(\displaystyle U\), of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) that contains \(\displaystyle c.\) I also assume the circular arcs we are considering contain the endpoints of the arc (i.e. are compact). That said, we can prove the claim by looking at the Laurent series expansion for \(\displaystyle f\).

Since \(\displaystyle z=c\) is a simple pole of \(\displaystyle f,\) we know that the Laurent series expansion for \(\displaystyle f\) is of the form

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{Res(f;c)}{z-c}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}(z-c)^{n}\qquad (*),\)

where the above holds on an annulus of inner radius \(\displaystyle \rho\) and outer radius \(\displaystyle R.\) Now

\(\displaystyle \rho = \limsup_{n\rightarrow\infty}|a_{-n}|^{1/n}=0,\)

and since \(\displaystyle f\) is meromorphic on \(\displaystyle U,\) \(\displaystyle R>0;\) the fact that \(\displaystyle \rho=0\) is what allows us to let \(\displaystyle r\rightarrow 0^{+}.\) We must note that \(\displaystyle (*)\) converges uniformly on compact subsets of our annular region (Laurent series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Since, for small enough \(\displaystyle r,\) \(\displaystyle C_{r}\) is a compact subset of our annular region, \(\displaystyle (*)\) converges uniformly on \(\displaystyle C_{r}.\) Using the uniform convergence to justify interchanging integral and sum we have

\(\displaystyle \int_{C_{r}}f(z)dz=Res(f;c)\int_{C_{r}}\frac{1}{z-c}dz+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}\int_{C_{r}}(z-c)^{n}dz.\)

Parameterizing \(\displaystyle C_{r}\) via \(\displaystyle z=c+re^{i\theta}\) and integrating gives

\(\displaystyle \int_{C_{r}}f(z)dz=i(\theta_{2}-\theta_{1})Res(f;c)+ir\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}\int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}}r^{n}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d \theta\)

The sum on the right exists, because the integral on the left exists. Hence, taking the limit we obtain

\(\displaystyle \lim_{r\rightarrow 0^{+}}\int_{C_{r}}f(z)dz=i(\theta_{2}-\theta_{1})Res(f;c),\)

as desired

Related to Integration around circular arcs

1. What is integration around circular arcs?

Integration around circular arcs is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve that is defined by a circular arc. It involves breaking down the curve into smaller segments and using the properties of circles to calculate the area of each segment.

2. Why is integration around circular arcs important?

Integration around circular arcs is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve that is defined by a circular arc, which can be useful in various applications such as engineering, physics, and geometry.

3. What are some examples of when integration around circular arcs is used?

Integration around circular arcs is commonly used in fields such as optics, where it can be used to calculate the area of a lens or curved mirror. It is also used in mechanics, where it can be used to find the center of mass of a curved object.

4. How is integration around circular arcs different from regular integration?

Integration around circular arcs is different from regular integration because it involves calculating the area of a curve that is defined by a circular arc, rather than a straight line. This requires a different set of mathematical techniques and formulas.

5. What are some tips for solving problems involving integration around circular arcs?

Some tips for solving problems involving integration around circular arcs include breaking down the curve into smaller segments, using the properties of circles to calculate the area of each segment, and checking your work for accuracy. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic geometry and algebra.