Integration and RC Step response

In summary, a new member of the physicsforums community sought help understanding the integration step in solving an RC step response, and received assistance in using the substitution method to integrate the equation. The resulting equation is -ln(Vin - Vc) + const.
0tt0UK
Integration

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. This is my first post. I found physicsforums when researching on google a solution for a doubt I've had when trying to solve rc step response. Basically, the RC analyse showed at http://freespace.virgin.net/ljmayes.mal/circuittheory/Rcstep.htm" solves step by step the mathematical behave of RC circuits.

I understand the whole anylise but the line with the follow part (integrating):

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]dt = RC[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{Vin - Vc}[/tex]dVc

t = - CR ln(Vin - Vc) + const

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
0tt0UK said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. This is my first post. I found physicsforums when researching on google a solution for a doubt I've had when trying to solve rc step response. Basically, the RC analyse showed at http://freespace.virgin.net/ljmayes.mal/circuittheory/Rcstep.htm" solves step by step the mathematical behave of RC circuits.

I understand the whole anylise but the line with the follow part (integrating):

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]dt = RC[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{Vin - Vc}[/tex]dVc

t = - CR ln(Vin - Vc) + const

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the rason for the "-" just befor CR. Where did it come from?

I though [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex]dx = ln x + const
Yes, that's correct (or at least close. The right side should be ln |x| + const.

Similarly,
[tex]\int\frac{du}{u}~=~ln|u| + C[/tex]

Using an ordinary substitution in your problem, u = Vin - VC, what will du be?
0tt0UK said:
If the minus wasn't there the whole thing would change and the final equation would be different

Thanks in advance
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
...u = Vin - VC, what will du be?

du in function of Vc ?

du = -1 ? is that right?

right!? so how would you solve

[tex]
\int
[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{Vin - Vc}[/tex]dVc ??

Would you differentiate 1/Vin-Vc in function of Vc and then integrate the result?

sorry I still don't understand the "-" on the right side of the eq.

thanks

Use and ordinary substitution with u = Vin - VC.

What is du?
Make the substitution and do the integration. What do you get?

- ln (Vin - Vc) + const
thanks very much Mark44

Last edited:

Related to Integration and RC Step response

1. What is integration in the context of RC step response?

Integration in the context of RC step response refers to the process of finding the output response of an RC circuit when a step input is applied. This involves using mathematical equations to calculate the voltage or current response over time.

2. How does integration affect the step response of an RC circuit?

Integration affects the step response of an RC circuit by determining the shape and magnitude of the output response. The integration process takes into account the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit, as well as the input step function, to calculate the output step response.

3. What is the difference between a first-order and second-order RC step response?

A first-order RC step response refers to the output response of an RC circuit that has only one energy storage element (either a capacitor or inductor). A second-order RC step response, on the other hand, refers to the output response of an RC circuit that has two energy storage elements (both a capacitor and inductor).

4. How do I calculate the time constant of an RC circuit for integration?

To calculate the time constant of an RC circuit for integration, you need to know the values of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit. The time constant (T) is then calculated by multiplying the resistance value by the capacitance value (T = R x C).

5. What are some real-world applications of RC step response and integration?

RC step response and integration have many real-world applications, including in electronic circuits, signal processing, control systems, and data analysis. For example, in electronic circuits, RC step response is used to analyze the behavior of filters and amplifiers. In signal processing, integration is used to remove noise and extract useful information from a signal. In control systems, RC step response is used to design and analyze the response of feedback systems. In data analysis, integration is used to calculate the area under a curve and determine the average value of a dataset.