Integration above or below axis

In summary, Jordan's lemma applies to functions that can be written as ##f(z) = e^{iaz} g(z)## with ##a## being a real and non-zero constant. The sign of ##a## determines which half circle to close, and the behavior of ##g## determines if the integral over that half circle vanishes. In the case of integrating a function with a complex pole on the real axis, the choice of integrating along a contour in the upper-half plane or lower-half plane does matter and will give different results. Simply taking a semicircle with radius to infinity does not guarantee that the integral over the arcs will vanish, unless the function has additional special properties.
TheCanadian
If you are trying to find the integral of a function with a complex pole on the real axis (i.e. ##[-\infty,\infty]##) via analytic continuation, does it matter if you integrate along a contour either in the upper-half plane or lower-half plane? I was under the assumption that either approach was equivalent. For example, if you have a pole at ## a + ib##, where ##a## and ##b## are positive constants, and take your contour to be a semicircle with radius out to infinity, so that by Jordan's lemma that component of the integral goes to 0, then shouldn't either approach (i.e. top half or bottom half of a circle) give you the same answer? It seems that I am missing or incorrectly assuming something obvious here.

(I've attached an image that attempts to depict what I tried to explain above.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 6.14.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 6.14.33 PM.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 565
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The integral over your arcs doesn’t vanish with that function unless f(x) has some special properties (that will lead to additional poles).

1/x (here: 1/r) is not sufficient as the length of the arcs scales with r and r/r=1 doesn’t converge to 0 for r to infinity.

To be more specific, Jordan’s lemma applies to functions that can be written on the form ##f(z) = e^{iaz} g(z)## with ##a## real and non zero. The sign of ##a## determines which half circle you close and the behaviour of ##g## determines whether or not the integral over that half circle vanishes.

Likes TheCanadian and mfb

Related to Integration above or below axis

1. What is integration above or below axis?

Integration above or below axis is a method used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph. It involves dividing the area into smaller shapes and finding the sum of their areas.

2. How does integration above or below axis work?

To perform integration above or below axis, you first need to plot the given curve on a graph. Then, divide the area under the curve into smaller shapes such as rectangles or trapezoids. Use the formula for finding the area of each shape and add them together to get the total area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between integration above or below axis and integration between two points?

The main difference between integration above or below axis and integration between two points is the direction in which the area is calculated. Integration above or below axis is used when the area under a curve is above or below the x-axis, while integration between two points is used to find the area between two given points on the x-axis.

4. What are some real-life applications of integration above or below axis?

Integration above or below axis has various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, and estimating the total cost of goods sold by a business over time.

5. How can I improve my skills in performing integration above or below axis?

The best way to improve your skills in integration above or below axis is to practice regularly. Start with simple examples and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources to better understand the concepts and techniques involved in this method.