Integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts

In summary, the student is trying to find a particular solution to the differential equation that satisfies the given initial condition. However, they are having difficulty because the equation contains the term xe^{x}. They have tried integrating both sides of the equation, but this is not an option because the equation contains the term xe^{x}. They also tried using a different method to find the solution, but this also has not worked. They have come up with a possible solution that uses the product rule and repeated differentiation.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

Use the method of separation of variables or an integrating factor to find a particular solution of the differential equation that satisfies the given initial condition.

y'=x-y+2 ; y(0)=4

2. The attempt at a solution
I've used an integrating factor of e[itex]^{x}[/itex] to obtain the following from y'=x-y+2:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]e[itex]^{x}[/itex]y=xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]+2e[itex]^{x}[/itex]

I know that I know have to integrate both sides of the equation. However, this is an issue since the equation contains the term xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]. This book hasn't yet taught integration by parts which is commonly used to integrate xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]. I don't think that separation of variables can be used to solve integrate this either.

Therefore, my question is: is there a way to integrate xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without using integration by parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cmajor47! :smile:
cmajor47 said:
… is there a way to integrate xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without using integration by parts?

hint: can you integrate (x + 1)ex without using integration by parts? :wink:

cmajor47 said:

Homework Statement

Use the method of separation of variables or an integrating factor to find a particular solution of the differential equation that satisfies the given initial condition.

y'=x-y+2 ; y(0)=4

2. The attempt at a solution
I've used an integrating factor of e[itex]^{x}[/itex] to obtain the following from y'=x-y+2:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]e[itex]^{x}[/itex]y=xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]+2e[itex]^{x}[/itex]
This doesn't look right to me. Can you show what you did to get it?
cmajor47 said:
I know that I know have to integrate both sides of the equation. However, this is an issue since the equation contains the term xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]. This book hasn't yet taught integration by parts which is commonly used to integrate xe[itex]^{x}[/itex]. I don't think that separation of variables can be used to solve integrate this either.

Therefore, my question is: is there a way to integrate xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without using integration by parts?

^There problem is in your look.
we desire
(u y)'=u(y+y')
u' y+u y'=u y + u y'
u=u'
u=e^x
so
(e^x y)'=e^x (x+2)

to solve (e^x y)'=e^x(x+2)
we have a few choices all similar
1)Integration by parts
You want to avoid this one, but it is just a use of the product rule
(u v)'=u' v + u v'
u v'=(u v)'-u' v
suppose u=x+2 v'=e^x
then u'=1 v=e^x
and
u v'=(u v)'-u' v
becomes
(x+2)e^x=((x+2)e^x)'-e^x

2)Undetermined coefficients
assume
((a x+b)e^x)'=(x+2)e^x
determine a,b

3)repeated differentiation
(e^x y)'=e^x (x+2)
(e^-x (e^x y)')''=(x+2)''=0
this just reproduces the undetermined coefficients

4)mixed
As tiny-tim points out we can rewrite the equation in terms of
(x e^x)'

Related to Integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to find the antiderivative of a function by breaking it down into two parts and using a formula involving the product rule from differentiation.

2. What is the formula for integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts?

The formula for integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts is uxe[itex]^{x}[/itex] - [itex]\int[/itex] u'e[itex]^{x}[/itex] dx, where u is the coefficient of x and u' is the derivative of u.

3. Can xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] be integrated without using integration by parts?

Yes, xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] can be integrated without using integration by parts by using the formula mentioned above.

4. What are the limitations of integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts?

Integrating xe[itex]^{x}[/itex] without integration by parts can become complicated when the function involves multiple terms or higher powers of x. In such cases, using integration by parts may be a more efficient method.

5. Can integration by parts be used for any type of function?

No, integration by parts can only be used for functions that can be broken down into two parts, one of which can be easily integrated and the other can be easily differentiated.