Integrating x^2 sin x: Find Exact Value of Abs(-pi/2 to pi/2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of x^2 sin x dx and using it to find the exact value of the integration of abs ( x^2 sin x dx) with upper limit of pi/2 and lower limit of -pi/2. The integration of x^2 sin x dx is found to be -x^2 cosx + 2xsinX + 2 cosx + C, but when the upper and lower limits are inputted, the answer is different from the expected 2pi. The conversation then asks for the values of x where x^2 sin x is positive and negative, reminding that |a|= a if a is positive and |a|= -a if a is negative. It
madhamster
The question asks me to integrate x^2 sin x dx and then use it to find the exact value of the integration of abs ( x^2 sin x dx) with upper limit of pi/2 and lower limit of -pi/2.

I have found the integration of x^2 sin x dx which is -x^2 cosx + 2xsinX + 2 cosx + C

but after putting in the upper limits and lower limits i get the answer 2pi, where have i gone wrong because my first part is correct but the second part is different from the answer given.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what values of x is x2 sin x positive and for what values of x is it negative? Remember that |a|= a if a is positive and |a|= -a if a is negative. You cannot just evaluate x2 cosx + 2xsinX + 2 cosx + C at -pi/2 and pi/2.

Related to Integrating x^2 sin x: Find Exact Value of Abs(-pi/2 to pi/2)

1. What is the integral of x^2 sin x?

The integral of x^2 sin x is -x^2 cos x + 2x sin x + 2cos x + C.

2. How do you find the exact value of the integral of x^2 sin x from -pi/2 to pi/2?

To find the exact value of the integral, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and evaluate the indefinite integral at the limits of integration, which in this case are -pi/2 and pi/2. This will give you the exact value of the definite integral.

3. Can the integral of x^2 sin x be solved using substitution?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve the integral of x^2 sin x. You can substitute u = sin x and du = cos x dx, which will transform the integral into an easier form to solve.

4. Can the integral of x^2 sin x be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve the integral of x^2 sin x. You can let u = x^2 and dv = sin x dx, which will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

5. What is the significance of finding the exact value of this integral?

Finding the exact value of this integral can help in solving various real-world problems that involve calculating areas, volumes, and other quantities. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function and its relationship with other functions.