Integrating with Partial Fractions - Irreducable

In summary, the integral of (2x-5)/(x^2+5x+11) can be rewritten as (2x+5)/(x^2+5x+11) - 10/(x^2+5x+11). The first term can be integrated by noting that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator, while the second term can be integrated by completing the square and substituting. This method can also be applied to integrands with different numerators, such as 3x-7, by factoring the numerator to match the quadratic in the denominator and using the same process.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

I need to integrate (2x-5)/(x^2+5x+11)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is just finding a formula for an irreducable quadratic. I know if the denominator was x(x^2+1), I would use A/x+(Bx+C)/(x^2+1). I just don't know the formula in this case and I feel like I could solve it if I had a formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite the integrand as

[tex]\frac{2x - 5 + 10 - 10}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{2x + 5}{x^2 + 5x + 11} - \frac{10}{x^2 + 5x + 11}.[/tex]

In the new expression, we can integrate the first by noting that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. For the second, complete the square and substitute.

snipez90 said:
Rewrite the integrand as

[tex]\frac{2x - 5 + 10 - 10}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{2x + 5}{x^2 + 5x + 11} - \frac{10}{x^2 + 5x + 11}.[/tex]

In the new expression, we can integrate the first by noting that the numerator is the derivative of the denominator. For the second, complete the square and substitute.

Ok, I sort of understand that, but let's say the numerator was something like 3x-7. Is there something different to do in this case?

Not really, the basic idea is to ensure that we have some expression where the derivative of the quadratic in the denominator is the numerator.

If 3x - 7 was in the numerator, then 3x - 7 = (3/2)(2x - 14/3). Hence,

[tex]\frac{3x - 7}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{3}{2}\cdot\frac{2x - 14/3 + 29/3 - 29/3}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{2x + 5}{x^2 + 5x + 11} - \frac{29}{3}\cdot\frac{1}{x^2 + 5x + 11}\right)[/tex]

That's a good way to do it, remembering that:

[tex]\int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx = \log_e (f(x))[/tex]

and that

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2} = \frac{\tan^{-1} (\frac{x}{a}) }{a} [/tex]

Seeing that the integral can be split in the fashion described is a good start and maybe it's the first step you should look to take when seeing an integrand that is a quotient of two polynomials the numerator being of one less degree than the denominator.

Thanks! I figured it out!

I think this would be general for problems like these?

[tex] \int \frac{Ax+B}{ax^2+bx+c} dx = \frac{A}{2a}\int \frac{2a}{A}.\frac{Ax+B}{ax^2+bx+c} = \frac{A}{2a}\left( \int\frac{2ax+b}{ax^2+bx+c}+\int{\frac{\frac{2aB}{A}-b}{ax^2+bx+c}\right)[/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{\frac{2aB}{A}-b}{ax^2+bx+c} = \frac{\frac{2aB}{A}-b}{a\sqrt{c-\frac{b^2}{4a^2}}}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x+\frac{b}{2a}}{\sqrt{c-\frac{b^2}{4a^2}}}\right)[/tex]

So

[tex]\int \frac{Ax+B}{ax^2+bx+c} dx = \frac{A}{2a}\left(log_e(ax^2+bx+c) + \frac{\frac{2aB}{A}-b}{a\sqrt{c-\frac{b^2}{4a^2}}}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x+\frac{b}{2a}}{\sqrt{c-\frac{b^2}{4a^2}}}\right)\right)[/tex]

snipez90 said:
Not really, the basic idea is to ensure that we have some expression where the derivative of the quadratic in the denominator is the numerator.

If 3x - 7 was in the numerator, then 3x - 7 = (3/2)(2x - 14/3). Hence,

[tex]\frac{3x - 7}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{3}{2}\cdot\frac{2x - 14/3 + 29/3 - 29/3}{x^2 + 5x + 11} = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{2x + 5}{x^2 + 5x + 11} - \frac{29}{3}\cdot\frac{1}{x^2 + 5x + 11}\right)[/tex]

Where does the 29/3 come from? I see that we want 2x+5 in the numerator. So we would have 3x-7+12-12, right? From there, I get (3/2)(2x-14/3+24/3-24/3). This will give us what we want. I'm just trying to see where 29/3 came from instead of 24/3?

I think I figured it out. It's because of the 3/2 factored out?

Related to Integrating with Partial Fractions - Irreducable

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. This can be useful in solving integrals and other mathematical problems.

2. What are irreducible fractions?

Irreducible fractions are fractions that cannot be simplified any further. For example, 1/2 is an irreducible fraction because both the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1.

3. How do you integrate with partial fractions?

To integrate with partial fractions, you first need to break down the complex fraction into simpler fractions using the method of partial fractions. Then, you can integrate each simpler fraction separately using standard integration techniques.

4. What is the purpose of integrating with partial fractions?

The purpose of integrating with partial fractions is to simplify complex fractions and make them easier to integrate. This method is particularly useful for solving integrals involving rational functions.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating with partial fractions?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when integrating with partial fractions. For example, if the denominator of a fraction is a repeated linear factor, a different approach is needed. It is important to carefully examine the fraction before applying the method of partial fractions.