Integrating Velocity When in Unit Vector Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement of a particle between t=1s and t=3s using the given velocity equation, and confirms that integrating each unit vector separately and then combining them is the correct method for finding the displacement vector.
ThomasMagnus

Homework Statement

Say for example, a particles velocity was given by the following equation:

[itex]\vec{V}[/itex](t) = (2t2-4t3)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - (6t +3)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + 6[itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

If I wanted to find the displacement of the particle between t=1s and t=3s, could I just integrate like this?

[itex]\int \vec{V}[/itex]= (2t3/3 - t^4)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - (3t2 +3t)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + 6t [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] evaluated between 1.00 and 3.00

= (-63i)-36j + 18k)-(2/3-1)i+(6j)-6k= -63.3i - 30j + 12k.

Is this the correct way to do this?

Homework Statement

N/A

Homework Equations

N/A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, that's correct.

As for why it's correct, suppose the particle's velocity was just 6i, so the distance is only changing in the i direction so you only integrate in that direction. Then if it's velocity was 6i + 3j, the total displacement is the same as moving the i component, then traveling in the j component separately.

The total displacement is just the vector sum, hence why your integration is correct.

So can you just treat each unit vector separately and integrate and evaluate each individually, then combine them all to find the displacement vector?

Thanks!

Yes, you can.

The integration of velocity in unit vector notation is a valid method for finding the displacement of a particle between two given times. Your approach is correct, as you have integrated the velocity components in each direction and evaluated them at the given times. However, it is important to note that the displacement vector is the integral of the velocity vector, so the units of your final answer should be in meters (m) or whatever unit your position vector is in. Additionally, it may be helpful to include units in your calculations to ensure accuracy. Overall, your approach is correct and you have successfully found the displacement of the particle between t=1s and t=3s.

Related to Integrating Velocity When in Unit Vector Notation

What is integration in unit vector notation?

Integration in unit vector notation is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a function expressed in unit vector notation. This method is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion and velocity.

How is velocity expressed in unit vector notation?

Velocity in unit vector notation is typically expressed as a vector with three components: the x, y, and z components. Each component represents the rate of change in the respective direction, and the unit vector notation indicates the direction of the velocity vector.

What is the purpose of integrating velocity in unit vector notation?

The purpose of integrating velocity in unit vector notation is to determine the displacement of an object over a given period of time. By finding the antiderivative of the velocity function, we can obtain the position function, which tells us the location of the object at any given time.

What are the steps for integrating velocity in unit vector notation?

The steps for integrating velocity in unit vector notation are as follows:

1. Identify the velocity function and its components in unit vector notation.
  2. Integrate each component separately using the appropriate integration rules.
  3. Combine the results to obtain the position function.
  4. Apply any initial conditions or constraints to find the specific solution.

What are some common applications of integrating velocity in unit vector notation?

Integrating velocity in unit vector notation is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion, such as calculating the displacement, acceleration, and position of moving objects. It is also useful in fields like robotics, where precise control of motion is necessary.