Integrating this double integral

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with integrating a given expression involving multiple variables and complex numbers. They have attempted to use integration by parts but have not found the correct answer. The other person suggests using the residue theorem from complex analysis to solve the integral.
Baggio
Hi, I am having some difficulties integrating the following expression..

[tex]\int\int\left(\frac{k}{\pi}\right)^2 \frac{1}{k^2+\omega'^2}\frac{1}{k^2+\omega^2}e^{-i\omega'\tau}e^{i\omega\tau}d\omega d\omega'[/tex]

I've tried by part but it doesn't look like it's going to give me the right answer which is

[tex]e^{-2k|\tau|}[/tex]

Omega and Omega primed can be integrated from -infinity to infinity ... if that helps

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well this is just the product of two integrals like
[tex]\int \frac{k}{\pi} \frac{1}{k^2 + \omega^2} e^{-i\omega \tau} d\omega[/tex]
so all you have to do is integrate one of those.

As for how to do it: do you know any complex analysis? The easiest way to compute this integral is to use the residue theorem. If you don't know the residue theorem, you might want to learn some complex; if you do, this should be enough of a hint already.

Integrating double integrals can definitely be challenging, especially with complex expressions like the one you have provided. One approach you can try is to use the substitution method. This involves substituting new variables for the original ones in the integral and then solving for the new limits of integration. In this case, you can try substituting u = k^2 + \omega'^2 and v = k^2 + \omega^2. This will allow you to rewrite the integral in terms of u and v, making it easier to integrate. Additionally, using the properties of complex numbers, you can simplify the exponential terms in the integrand. Overall, this method may give you a better chance of getting the desired result of e^{-2k|\tau|}. I hope this helps and good luck with your integration!

Related to Integrating this double integral

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by two nested integrals and is used in various fields of science and engineering to calculate areas, volumes, and other important quantities.

Why do we need to integrate a double integral?

Integrating a double integral allows us to calculate important quantities such as areas and volumes that cannot be found through basic algebraic methods. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function over a specific region in a two-dimensional space.

What is the process of integrating a double integral?

The process of integrating a double integral involves evaluating the inner integral first, then using the result to evaluate the outer integral. This is known as the "inside-out" method. However, in some cases, it may be more convenient to use the "outside-in" method, where the outer integral is evaluated first.

What are the limits of integration in a double integral?

The limits of integration in a double integral are determined by the boundaries of the region over which the integration is being performed. These boundaries can be curves, lines, or other functions. It is important to correctly identify and set the limits of integration in order to obtain the correct result.

How is a double integral used in real-life applications?

Double integrals have various applications in real-life, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, the center of mass of an object, and many other important quantities. They are also used in solving differential equations and in probability distributions.