Integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of (cos(2x))^3 between 0 and pi, with the question not specifying any further instructions. The speaker initially provides an incorrect expression and later realizes the mistake. The other person suggests observing the behavior of the function and concludes that the integral is 0. The speaker apologizes for the mistake and confirms that they will go with the answer of 0.
Jbreezy
Integral of ...

Homework Statement

Hi, no directions were given it just says ∫(tan(x/2))^2 dx between 0 and pi.
You will get for the integral (1/2 (sin(2x)) - ((1/6)sin(2x))^3
I think that this is OK. Part of the graph of the origonal function dips below the axis so it end up being 0. I should change the limits of integral between [0,pi/2] then multiply that answer by 4 because there are 4 areas of that size.
Is this right?
So my final answer I got (4 (1/3)) so 4/3.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Hi, no directions were given it just says ∫(tan(x/2))^2 dx between 0 and pi.
You will get for the integral (1/2 (sin(2x)) - ((1/6)sin(2x))^3
How did you get that expression? Sketch the graph of tan(x/2) and observe the behaviour at x = π. What does this suggest about the integral?

I wrote the wrong integral. I mean integral of (cos(2x))^3 between 0 and Pi.
Now read the rest of what I wrote. I'm so sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jbreezy said:
I wrote the wrong integral. I mean integral of (cos(2x))^3 between 0 and Pi.
Now read the rest of what I wrote. I'm so sorry.
If the question is just ##\int_0^\pi (\cos(2x))^3 dx##, then as you said the answer is zero.
You computed the integral of the modulus of the integrand over the same interval of integration.

If the question asked something like 'Find the area enclosed by cos^3(2x)..'', for example, then do as you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't say anything it just has the integral. So I guess I will go with 0 then. Thanks dude. Sorry about the mistake.

Related to Integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi

1. What is the formula for integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi?

The formula for integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi is ∫[(tan(x/2))^2] dx = x - tan(x/2) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi?

To solve the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi, you can use the formula ∫[(tan(x/2))^2] dx = x - tan(x/2) + C and plug in the values for the limits of integration, 0 and pi. This will result in a final answer of pi.

3. Can you use substitution to solve the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi. By letting u = tan(x/2), you can rewrite the integral as ∫u^2 sec^2(x/2) dx, which can then be solved using the power rule.

4. What is the significance of integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi?

Integrating (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi allows you to find the area under the curve of the function within the given limits. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Are there any other methods for solving the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the integral of (tan(x/2))^2 between 0 and pi, such as using trigonometric identities or converting the integral to a definite integral and using numerical methods to approximate the solution.