Integrating Sin(6θ): Am I Close?

In summary, to integrate sin(6θ), you can use the formula ∫sin(ax)dx = -1/a * cos(ax) + C, where a is the coefficient of θ. You can also use the double angle identity sin(2θ) = 2sin(θ)cos(θ) to simplify the integration. Special cases should be considered, especially when the upper limit is not a multiple of π/6. The most common method is to use the substitution u = 6θ, and then use the formula ∫sin(u)du to integrate. To check your answer, you can use a graphing calculator or an online integration tool, or take the derivative and see if it equals sin(6
duki

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\sin(6\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int6\cos6\theta[/tex]

Am I close?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps do a u-sub where u=6theta

Or you could think of it like this:

If we take the derivative of [tex]\frac{d}{d \theta}(-cos(\theta)) = sin(\theta)[/tex]. That's sort of like the anti-derivative which you seek.

If we take the derivative of [tex]\frac{d}{d \theta}(-cos(6 \theta)) = 6sin(6 \theta)[/tex].

So from there it's easy to see that[tex]\int\sin(6\theta) d\theta = \frac{-cos(6\theta)}{6}[/tex]

errr...

[tex]\frac{-\cos6\theta}{6}[/tex]

Yeah looks right^^

Related to Integrating Sin(6θ): Am I Close?

1. How do I integrate sin(6θ)?

To integrate sin(6θ), you can use the formula ∫sin(ax)dx = -1/a * cos(ax) + C, where a is the coefficient of θ. In this case, a = 6, so the integral becomes -1/6 * cos(6θ) + C.

2. Can I use trigonometric identities to simplify the integration of sin(6θ)?

Yes, you can use the double angle identity sin(2θ) = 2sin(θ)cos(θ) to rewrite sin(6θ) as 2sin(3θ)cos(3θ). This can make the integration process easier.

3. Do I need to consider any special cases when integrating sin(6θ)?

Yes, when integrating sin(6θ), you need to consider the limits of integration. If the upper limit is not a multiple of π/6, you will need to adjust the answer using the periodicity of sin(x).

4. Is there a specific method to use when integrating sin(6θ)?

The most common method is to use the substitution u = 6θ, which will change the integral to ∫sin(u)du. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in the first question to integrate sin(u).

5. How can I check if my integration of sin(6θ) is correct?

You can use a graphing calculator or an online integration tool to check your answer. You can also take the derivative of your answer and see if it equals sin(6θ).