Integrating Separable Equations: Comparing Solutions to Practice Problems

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the conversation discussed two different solutions to problems involving dy/dx. The first problem involved integrating both sides to get y2/2 = x3/3 + C, while the book's solution was 3y2 - 2x3 = C. The second problem involved integrating both sides to get y2/2 = 1/3*ln(1+x3) + C, while the book's solution was 3y2-2ln(1+x3) = C. The conversation also mentioned that the book tends to prefer simpler forms of the constant in the answer.
Chandasouk
I have solutions for 2 problems but they are different from the ones my book provides. This may be due to some simplification they chose to do, but I am uncertain.

1) dy/dx = x2/y

ydy = x2dx

Integrate both sides and you get

y2/2 = x3/3 + C

My book gave 3y2 - 2x3 = C

2) dy/dx = x2 / y(1+x3)

y(1+x3)dy = x2dx

ydy = x2/(1+x3) dx

Integrating both sides, I got

y2/2 = 1/3*ln(1+x3) + C

but my book gave

3y2-2ln(1+x3) = C

Physics news on Phys.org
C is arbitrary. It could be anything. 6*C is also arbitrary. You may as well just label 6*C as C. Multiply both of your answers by 6. If C is arbitrary then e^C, 6C, C-1, etc etc are also arbitrary. Just call them C.

Oh, I see. So my answers were correct. It seems my book likes not having fractions. Thanks again.

Chandasouk said:
Oh, I see. So my answers were correct. It seems my book likes not having fractions. Thanks again.

Right, there's not single right expression. The answer keys will usually pick the simplest form of the constant. You should try and do that too.

Related to Integrating Separable Equations: Comparing Solutions to Practice Problems

What are separable equations problems?

Separable equations problems are mathematical problems in which the differential equation can be separated into two parts, one involving only the dependent variable and the other involving only the independent variable. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating each part separately.

What is the general process for solving a separable equations problem?

The general process for solving a separable equations problem involves separating the dependent and independent variables, integrating both parts separately, and then combining the solutions with a constant of integration. This is known as the separation and integration method.

What is the difference between linear and non-linear separable equations problems?

Linear separable equations problems involve linear functions, where the dependent variable is raised to the power of 1. Non-linear separable equations problems involve non-linear functions, where the dependent variable is raised to a power other than 1.

What are some real-world applications of separable equations?

Separable equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in physics to model motion and in engineering to solve problems related to circuits and heat transfer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable equations problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable equations problems include forgetting to integrate each part separately, forgetting to add a constant of integration, and making algebraic errors when manipulating the equation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check the solution to avoid errors.