Integrating P along Curve c: A Math Challenge

In summary: Start by finding the extremum of the function at some point, and then use the Chain Rule to integrate.
joe:)

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to find the integral of P = 2xyz^2 along the curve c which is defined by:

x=t^2
y=2t
z=t^3

t goes from 0 to 1

So the q says that it is the integral of P dr along c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that this should equal the integral of P times mod r'(t) dt..

But if r = (t^2, 2t, t^3) then mod of r'(t) is pretty ugly..and I can't solve the integral..

Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Line Integral of Scalar Function

1. Homework Statement

So I'm trying to find the integral of P = 2xyz^2 along the curve c which is defined by:

x=t^2
y=2t
z=t^3

t goes from 0 to 1

So the q says that it is the integral of P dr along c

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

But if r = (t^2, 2t, t^3) then mod of r'(t) is pretty ugly..and I can't solve the integral..

Any pointers?

Write P in terms of t?

joe:) said:

Any pointers?

I have to admit I don't know either, but I'm fairly confident the teacher doesn't expect you to solve the integral using the "standard" method. Here's how complicated the improper integral is:

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=x^9*sqrt%289*x^4%2B4x^2%2B4%29&random=false

Any pointers?

You might want to start by completing the square on [itex]||\textbf{r}'(t)||^2[/tex] and then make an appropriate substitution. Even then, it looks like you will need to use integration by parts several times.

(Two threads merged and moved to Calculus & Beyond)

Please do not multiple post questions here, Joe. Thanks.

ideasrule said:
I have to admit I don't know either, but I'm fairly confident the teacher doesn't expect you to solve the integral using the "standard" method. Here's how complicated the improper integral is:

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=x^9*sqrt%289*x^4%2B4x^2%2B4%29&random=false

Hmm yes, complicated indeed!

Is there a theorem I can use? Greens? Stokes?

Hmm yes, complicated indeed!

Is there a theorem I can use? Greens? Stokes?

I don't see any tricks to make this one easier. Your curve isn't closed, so it doesn't bound a surface and certainly doesn't enclose a volume so Green's and Stokes' theorems won't help. The fundamental theorem for gradients also doesn't seem to help here (I can't think of a scalar function for which [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\Phi\cdot d\textbf{r}=Pdr[/itex]...can you?) I also don't see any tricks involving the limits of integration, so it seems to me like you will have to do it the "standard way" if you are required to calculate the integral analytically.

For the "standard way", I stand by my earlier suggestion.

Related to Integrating P along Curve c: A Math Challenge

1. What does it mean to integrate P along a curve?

Integrating P along a curve involves finding the area under the curve of a given function P. It is a mathematical process used to evaluate the accumulated change in a quantity along a given path or trajectory.

2. How is integrating P along a curve useful?

Integrating P along a curve has many real-world applications, such as calculating work done by a varying force, finding the displacement of an object, or determining the total cost of a changing variable. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the difference between integrating P along a curve and integrating P with respect to a variable?

Integrating P along a curve takes into account the changing path or trajectory, while integrating P with respect to a variable only considers the change in that specific variable. In other words, integrating along a curve involves evaluating the total change in a quantity, while integrating with respect to a variable involves finding the change in a specific variable.

4. What are some common methods for integrating P along a curve?

The most commonly used methods for integrating P along a curve are the Riemann sum method, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking the curve into smaller segments and approximating the area under each segment.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to integrating P along a curve?

Integrating P along a curve can be challenging as it requires a solid understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. It can also be time-consuming and may not always give an exact solution due to the use of approximation methods. Additionally, the curve being integrated may not always have a closed-form solution, making it difficult to evaluate the integral.