Integrating Gravitational Attraction in n Dimensions

In summary, the problem involves computing gravitational attraction between a point mass and a uniform mass distribution in n dimensions. The solution involves an integral, which can be simplified by expressing it in terms of the norm of the point mass and the unit vector in the nth position. The integral can be split into three parts - radial direction, angle between the point mass and the nth direction, and all other directions - and can be further generalized for n dimensions.
Taylor Smith

Homework Statement

I'm working on a generalization of gravitation to n dimensions. I'm trying to compute gravitational attraction experienced by a point mass y due to a uniform mass distribution throughout a ball of radius a -- B(0, a).

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

I've determined an integral that expresses this problem, (ignoring the constants outside the integral) but I'm unsure how to evaluate it.

I have $$A = \int_{B(0,a)} \frac{x - y}{||x - y||^n} dvol_n(x)$$
I believe this can be expressed as a function of x_n, thus I've further simplified to
$$A = \int_{B(0,a)} \frac{x_n - r}{||x - re_n||^n} dvol_n(x)$$
where $r$ is the norm of y, and e_n is the unit vector that is 0 in all but the nth position. I'm unsure how to proceed with this integral. I'm trying to express it in terms of only a and r.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is y (and similar r) and why does A do not depend on it?
I would split the integral in three parts:
- radial direction
- angle between x and the nth direction
- all other directions

3 dimensions are the first where these integrals are all meaningful, so it might be useful to study this case first and then generalize this.

Related to Integrating Gravitational Attraction in n Dimensions

What is integration over a ball?

Integration over a ball is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional region known as a ball. It is a type of integration that is commonly used in calculus and other fields of mathematics.

How is integration over a ball different from integration over other shapes?

Integration over a ball is different from integration over other shapes because it involves a three-dimensional region with a curved surface. This means that the equations and methods used for integration over a ball will be different from those used for other shapes, such as rectangles or triangles.

What are the applications of integration over a ball?

Integration over a ball has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate volumes, surface areas, and moments of inertia, which are important in understanding the behavior of objects in these fields.

What are the key formulas for integration over a ball?

The key formulas for integration over a ball include the spherical coordinates formula, which expresses the volume element of a ball in terms of the radius and angles, and the triple integral formula, which is used to calculate the volume of a ball by integrating over its three dimensions.

What are some tips for solving integration over a ball problems?

Some tips for solving integration over a ball problems include visualizing the shape of the ball and choosing the appropriate coordinate system, breaking down the integral into smaller parts, and using symmetry to simplify the calculations. It is also important to carefully set up the integral and choose the correct limits of integration.